No announcement yet.

Advice needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would, but replace it when you put fresh oil in.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

On a steel plug, use an acetylene torch and heat it red hot, and just walk away for about an hour. Heating the metal and letting it cool shrinks it a tiny amount, and it breaks the stuck threads loose. When you come back, it will be slightly tighter than finger tight.

I have used this trick on Chevy differential plugs for years.

Another option in the abscense of a torch would be to run it to operating temperature and then loosen it when everything is hot. This works especially well on exhaust manifold studs and nuts.
      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

+1 on the torch method...thats what it took to get mine out...Thanks Randy!!!
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
          & back in the day we used flushing oil. I wonder if you can still get it? anyway, a 50/50 mix of 10W30 and diesel fuel will work OK too. Run the bike only on idle for no more than 2 minutes then drain.
          Fred,
          Amsoil makes a flushing oil but it is not for use with a wet clutch as it may soften the material on the clutch plates. Would your mixture do the same or have you used it on your bike with good results?
          1979 XS1100 Standard
          Putting it together........

Comment

Seafoam will clean the internals, and Marvel Mystery Oil works pretty good too. Just don't run with a load - sitting on the stand only.
            I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

oil filter

that there last questions answer is ABSOLUTELY,,if you wanted to do a dble flush, use your existing one to catch the worst of the muck then put another flush mix with a new filter then put your oil and clean filter in, you,ll need a couple of filters for that though
              never ride faster than your gaurdian angel
              can fly

1981 rh 5N5
              MIDNIGHTSPECIAL
              1188cc
              4 into 1 pipes with a transac muffler,
              as the motorcycling gods intended everything else stock std

http://s856.photobucket.com/home/steptoexs11
              http://steptoexs11.webs.com/
              http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum

1982 vf750 sabre

Comment