Missing question!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing question!!

Hi all, mabuhay from the Philippines. Ok, got a question. I bought an 80 xs1100 spedial, SG. The carbs just got rebuilt, and I still have the same problem, and I will try and explain. When I reach cruising speed, whatever that speed may be, and I lean off (let off the gas) slightly, and the give it just a bit more gas to maintain speed, it starts missing on 2 cylinders. I have to let off the gas completely, then start again, it backfires, then runs fine until i lean it again, and then give it just a bit of gas. We have been persuing thisfor 3 months, anyone have any idea what is wrong??? Oh, and it makes no difference about the rpms, it does the same at any rpm. HELP!!!!
    Smiling in the Philippines
    1980 XS Eleven Special
    Running nicely thanks to this forum!

Hey Hanger10,

Have you checked or tested the pickup coil wires yet? That is my first thought since you have already overhauled the carbs. Any exhaust mods to the bike? Does it have the stock jetting?
    Paul
    1983 XJ1100 Maxim
    1979 XS1100 Standard
    1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by blue giant View Post
      Hey Hanger10,

Have you checked or tested the pickup coil wires yet? That is my first thought since you have already overhauled the carbs. Any exhaust mods to the bike? Does it have the stock jetting?

Yea, I agree with blue giant. Check your primary coils and all of the wiring in and around the primary housing. Also, check and ensure that all ground connections are clean, tight and, there are no broken wires.
      1980 XS11 LG (Diablo)
      1980 XS11 G (Bagger)
      1978 XS11 G (White Knight)
      1978 XS11 G (Skeleton)
      2016 SS (S.S. Flyer)

Comment

Yep, I think these guys hit it on the head with pickup coil wires. When you let off and then roll back on, your changing the vacuum which change your timing advance and will rotate that assembly moving those wires which often stretch and break on the 78-80 models anyway, less on the later years due to no mehcanical advance. That would make the break show up, and each pickup works for two cylinders IIRC. Lots of threads on here from those with more knowledge than me on how to fix it.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

When is the last time your carbs were synched? After they were rebuilt?
          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Check your primary coils and all of the wiring in and around the primary housing
            Have you checked or tested the pickup coil wires yet?
            Two different things. Primary coils are under your tank, but the pickup coils under the left sidecover of the motor is where the problem is probably going to be. That's the first thing I would check anyway.

Tod

P.S. You can figure out which cylinders it's missing on by spritzing the header pipes with water and finding the hot/colder ones. MOST of the time, if the miss is together.. 1&2 or 3&4, it's fuel related. If it is 1&4 or 2&3 together.. it's usually electrical.
            Last edited by trbig; 03-21-2009, 09:40 AM.
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

The carbs were synched today, as soon as he finished the rebuild. I will show him these messages, and have him check the coil, and all around it. I just pray that we can get this thing fixed!!! It runs like a gem, except for this damn miss!!! Thank you all so much for the responses!! Mabuhay from Liloan, Cebu, Philippines.

Randy
              Smiling in the Philippines
              1980 XS Eleven Special
              Running nicely thanks to this forum!

Comment

Originally posted by hanger10 View Post
                The carbs were synched today, as soon as he finished the rebuild. I will show him these messages, and have him check the coil, and all around it. I just pray that we can get this thing fixed!!! It runs like a gem, except for this damn miss!!! Thank you all so much for the responses!! Mabuhay from Liloan, Cebu, Philippines.

Randy
                It's guaranteed to be something simple like pick up coil wires or a poor/corroded connection. You're very close to having it run perfect!

Paul
                Paul
                1983 XJ1100 Maxim
                1979 XS1100 Standard
                1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

Bienvenido a xs11.com, may as well throw my vote in....p/u coil wires...like everyone else (mostly) said. have a nice day and ride safe
                  I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

There's coils and there's coils

Hi Hanger 10,
                    to be clear about this, the XS11 has two coils that feed sparks to the engine,
                    these coils are located under the gas tank. There are also two pickup coils, or trigger coils, under the circular hatch on the left side of the engine. These coils trigger the spark coils in place of the old-fashioned breaker points. It's these smaller coils, or rather, the wires that lead to them, that are the most likely cause of your problem. As the vacuum & mechanical advance systems move these coils back and forth the wires are continuously flexing and sometimes the conductors break inside the plastic insulation. The wire looks perfect as only the inside is broken. Thing is, normal bike wire is not the best replacement as there's too few too fat wires in the conductor. You need a larger number of finer wires in the conductor to make it sufficiently flexible. What I used when my XS11SG had that problem is the very flexible wires from an old multimeter.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                    X