More carb questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More carb questions

Working on the carbs on my MNS. I am getting there but still have a couple issues. I installed the carbs without the airbox (for troubleshooting). Bike fires up and idles ok after warm.

While it was running I noticed gas coming our of one of the holes on the intake side of the carb.
    Of the four holes, it is the bottom right. This is on carb #3. Would this indicate a stuck float? I do not get fuel from the carbs when the bike is off but I still have the octy and it does seem to work. Sorry the pics aren't the greatest.

I sprayed water on the pipes and noticed that #4 was not near as hot as the other 3. It was hot but more of a sizzle compared to a flash of steam.

I appreciate any help.
    Last edited by Ken Talbot; 03-19-2009, 11:43 PM. Reason: modify format to allow images to display full size
    Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
    '82 XJ1100
    '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Yup, time to go back into the carbs
    1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
    "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
    My Photo Bucket

Comment

Sometimes you can give them a little rap with the handle of a screwdriver and they'll come unstuck.
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Took the carbs off again and looked at the offending carb. I really didn't see a problem (jiggled the float around and checked the needle) so I put it all back together. Seems to be ok now. I went for a little spin and WOW this bike is fun. I think the carbs are finally right.
        Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
        '82 XJ1100
        '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Yeah-i know the feeling.When the carbs are clean and they behave well, it makes all the difference.When i finally got it right i was able to ride longer without having to worry that i would get stuck somewhere and have to get it towed home somehow.Enjoy!
          1980 XS1100 SG
          Inline fuel filters
          New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
          160 mph speedometer mod
          Kerker Exhaust
          xschop K & N air filter setup
          Dynojet Recalibration kit
          1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
          1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Just make sure you have some sort of inline filter on the fuel lines. Even taking the lines off and on can shave off small pieces of rubber from the lines that will lodge right in those float valves.

Glad to see it's working for you now though. Let's just try not to make a Samsonite-homing missile out of this bike..

Who needs enemies with friends like me..
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

And....

Don't park it next to mine. Mine likes to get drunk in the parking lot after a ride and fall down..

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own