Put on a new rear tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put on a new rear tire

Second one, at least there was still grease this time...

Last time, it was dry, bone dry....
    But I don't know how long it had been sitting, or how long the tire had been on it

This time I did pull the final drive, it still had grease too, but I'd greased the bike a copule of times...

Now the question, should I pull the swingarm, is there anything I shoud do in there?
    I don't detect any side to side movement in it,
    1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
    "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
    My Photo Bucket

Pro:

Pulling the swing arm will allow you access to check out the pivot bearings... They're small taper-roller bearings that take a lot of punishment and get little attention... If you use a pressure washer or hi-pressure hose to clean down your bike, chances are they're in need of a little grease (at the very least).

Con:

To remove the swing-arm from the bike, you have to undo the UJ from the middle gearbox... There are 4 Ultra-Hi-Tensile bolts holding the UJ to the middle gearbox output shaft and EVERY manual says that these bolts MUST be replaced with new when re-fitting the UJ...

FYI, I have nicely greased bearings and 2nd hand UJ bolts... Seen over 10K miles since the swing arm was last off... Your call...

HTH

Miti
    One of those terribly nice chaps on XS1100.com
    • XS1100S (5K7) '83 "Sport #1 - Trike Donor"
    • XS1100S (5K7) '85 "Sport #2"
    • XS1100LG (4W1) '80 "A Tribute to Brian"
    • Hesketh V1000 '82 - Dream Realised...

Comment

If you do remove the swing arm, be thee aware that getting the drive shaft lined back up with the u-joint can be a real bear. I found it easier to remove the universal joint and assemble it back into the swing arm with the drive shaft before putting it back on the bike.

The drive shaft itself has a little circlip on the u-joint end that keeps it from slipping back. If you really want to do it right, take the circlip off, remove the drive shaft, clean all the old grease out of the shaft housing, grease the end that goes into the FD good, put it back in, reattach the circlip, reinstall, and zerk that sucker full. Can't remember but it seems to me like it takes 20-30 zerks to fill it.

Use a good high temp moly grease - especially on the FD end of the shaft. Molybdenum will bond with the metal and provide lubrication even after the grease has dried out. The more moly content in the grease, the better. Supposed to grease the end every 10k miles. That being said, if you're unsure of the condition of those swing arm bearings, it's definitely a good idea to repack 'em.

I, like miti-babe, reused my u-joint bolts with no problems.
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I must have missed the bolt replacement thing in the manual also. Apparently I have missed it many many times... lol. I have never had a problem re-using them either.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I may just as well be sure about it, since I felt that I needed to ask.
          Also, I need new rear pads, so it's gonna be a minute before I can finish/ride anyways
          Yeah, it's still for sale, and I'm workin' on it. Go Figure Just making it better if I don't sell it

So, moly grease? re-use the bolts, OK.

Never done a swing arm, well I torn down a XS750, parted it out, didn't pay attention,
          re-aligning tips?
          "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
          My Photo Bucket

Comment

So, moly grease? re-use the bolts, OK.
            Worked for me. On realligning the swing arm you just loosen one side and tighten the other until you have equal clearance on both sides. Then torque 'em to spec.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Not to be a ****, but I am wondering, what has this got to do with replacing the rear tire? Lube of moving parts is a differant issue I think.

Deny
              1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
              1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

but I am wondering, what has this got to do with replacing the rear tire?
                Very little, but Renegade was asking about it in his original post. I think it's one of those "I just changed my tire, and while it's off should I..."
                Last edited by dbeardslee; 03-19-2009, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Sorry about that - not wanting to be a ##@@! I was just wondering. I changed my tires over a 55 gal drum and tire irons - tis a task of it's own.

Deny
                  1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                  1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
                    think it's one of those "I just changed my tire, and while it's off should I..."
                    Kinda changed into that....

I changed my tires over a 55 gal drum and tire irons - tis a task of it's own.
                    did mine over the old telephone pole next to the driveway with a crow bar, heavy screwdriver, and a C-clamp.....

Kinda TAXING isn't it?
                    My Photo Bucket

Comment

IIRC there is a hole in the side of the swingarm bearing shaft that a ZERK fitting can be put into, and so you could just SQUIRT the grease in there without having to take things apart. Greasing the driveshaft splines where they fit into the final drive is really a bit higher on the priority list IMHO!

Hey Tod, I too, didn't see that memo about the UJ bolts. I put mine back together in 2000, torqued them, and they have held for some 16+K miles, several 1000m trips, heavy torquing in the twisties, several runs down the dragstrip, multiple wheelies, etc.!! YMMV
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                      X