Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Mileage

Hi,
    Not complaining or anything but I have noticed if I run my XS1100 at 55 to 60 in top gear I get 37 MPG consistently. The strange thing is if I run it at 75 I get about the same. I have previously read in the forums where folks say to keep the rpm's up. I guess it is true.
    I just expected with the added wind resistance and all the mpg to make a big drop.
    1980 Xs1100 MNS Sold for $1800
    2004 Roadstar XV1700
    45 to 50 MPG
    Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before it is too late!

I've noticed on mine that throttle twisting seems to be what kills my mileage. If I keep it at a constant speed it does much better. I've watched it with a colortune in place, and when the throttle is twisted aggressively I get a yellow flame in the combustion chamber indicating unburned fuel. Once it reaches the apporpriate rpm for the throttle position the flame returns to bunson blue indicating complete combustion of the fuel. The best mileage I ever got was a shade over 40, and that was following another rider with a very different riding style. XSPastor said it best - "Riding style is everything"
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

If gas milage is of major concern consider the 750/850 rear end mod. My machine jumped to a real 44 mpg after. I couldn't be more pleased.

Deny
      1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
      1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Deny - Got one sittin' out in the man cave. Gotta get a different u-joint before I can install as the splines on the one I have are chewed-up on the end. Now you've got me itchin' to do it again, as that's why I bought it to begin with.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Damn, I had one on the parts pile, sold it on flea-bay,
          for $5.00
          didn't think it would fit on the 11, 'course then I found XS11.com

32-34 MPG is the best I've seen, that was fully loaded and 2 up seating,
          solo, I get closer to 30
          1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
          "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
          My Photo Bucket

Comment

I will look to see if I saved the joint from my upgrade. Kinda think it went out with every thing that wasn't tied down when steel was worth somthing.

Deny
            1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
            1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Gas Mileage

Through the years of owning this bike the best I can remember getting was around 21-27 mpg. About 120 miles to a tank and was looking for a gas station SOON.
              I just got in from a 155 mile ride, mostly 55-65 mph and 50/50, stop and go/ highway.
              I am very surprised to report that I put in 3.88 U.S. gallons.
              40 MPG???
              Just some minor tune-ups that I did to this bike.
              Bragging.......maybe......But mostly surprised!!!
              Now to get these valves adjusted is my next project. WOOHOO!!! Wish me luck.
              Flatlander

'81 XS11H

Comment

I have done no tuning whatsoever to my bike. The only thing I've done is clean the carbs several different times, and get new standard plugs. I just did 113 miles in the last 5 days, and managed 32.5 MPG! I can only imagine what might happen if I actually started tuning stuff!
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

I get about 38-40 miles per gallon pretty consistently.I rebuilt the carbs and new plugs last year.My bike runs great.
                  80 SG XS1100
                  14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Got 42-45 MPG with my 79 Special 750 FD running up in the NC/TN mountains last week. This was running it hard too with the full luggage.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

You're all doing something very wrong.

I get about 25 on a good day....
                      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I was getting 'bout 32 on my 79 Standard after doing a motor swap last year. After I calibrated the timing pointer using a dial indicator on the #1 cyl. and resetting the timing, it shot up to 38-40 and ran much smoother.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

On my decked 80 standard, the best i got was 42mpg (imp).

Putting those carbs on my 80 Special first trial, I got 43mpg with a combo of city/highway cruising at 120kph (74mph).

Thats 36mpg US.
                          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I got 40 mpg - once. That was following someone with a very different riding style, and not much stop-n-go. Usually it runs between 30-32 mpg US, but that's a lot of city riding. Riding style makes a huge difference as does stop-n-go vs. highway. Just installed the 750 FD this afternoon, and have my fingers crossed that mpg's will improve.

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
                              I got 40 mpg - once. That was following someone with a very different riding style, and not much stop-n-go. Usually it runs between 30-32 mpg US, but that's a lot of city riding. Riding style makes a huge difference as does stop-n-go vs. highway. Just installed the 750 FD this afternoon, and have my fingers crossed that mpg's will improve.
                              The 750FD didn't make one iota's worth of difference on my MPG. It did make the ride lots quieter and less vibrations. All in all I am happy with it, but don't feel bad if your MPG doesnt go up.
                              Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
                              X