Help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed

I own a 1978 xs1100e my tach n my light cluster stop working.can someone pls tell me what might be the problem and how to fix.And also put on after market clamp-on air filters how do i know if it needs jetted n what jets should i get..... thank you
    1978 xs1100 e

Sparky - Can't help you with the instruments, but on the jets there's a thread labeled "Jetting Recommendations" in the tech tips under "Modifications". You need to take all the mods into consideration when computing your requirements.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Someone will probably weigh in here more concisely, but the tach is driven off one of the alternator legs. This means if you aren't charging you won't get a tach signal.

There is a plug that routenely melts in behind the fuse block, IIRC. Check all the connections and make sure they are clean and squirt them full of silicone dielectric grease. I would start by following the wires that come out the right side engine cover to the connections.

Some one correct me if I am wrong. If I am wrong (it will only be the second time ever!), the worst thing that could happen is you have some clean and protected connectors.
      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Check your voltage at the battery while running. Should be about 14V at 2500 RPM. Also, your headlight probably won't be on if the tach isn't working. Check those alternator connections like Ivan suggested.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
        X