Final Drive Refurbishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Drive Refurbishing

New XS1100 owner here. Just picked up the bike last week, 46,000 miles,dirty, but in pretty decent shape. The rear brakes and tire were toast, so while I had them off, I thought I'd take off the final drive and refresh it a bit. Feeling a bit gung-ho, I opened it up, drained the stinky oil, and threw the parts in a mineral spirits parts washer and scrubbed 'em up for a few minutes. It looks really pretty now, but I'm concerned about proper re-assembly.

Mainly, I'm wondering if the needle bearing around the axle sleeve inside the final drive housing wants grease, or if it is lubricated by the gear oil in housing. By the way, I'm assuming that the rest of the bearing in the housing are intended to be oil lubed, and require no grease.

The Clymer manual basically says, "don't open it" regarding the final drive. Too late. So I write here. Obviously many folk toss their stock drives, and upgrade to 750 or 850 drives, but I'd prefer to keep this one for now.

Thanks in advance for any info.
    Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light. - Spike Milligan

1981 XS1100 Eleven Special
    1983 XS650 Heritage Special
    1978 XS650 project

I've got xtra's if you need one.
    79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
    80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
    80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
    79 DT 100

Comment

If you are not sure, grease it. If the bearing is intended to be lubed by the oil then the grease will eventually wash out and be replaced by the oil. I use synthetic 80w90 hypoid oil, by the way.
      Mike Giroir
      79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Final drive refurbishing

You might want to try the final drive from an XS 750, 850, or Virago. The 11 has a ratio of 3.3 to 1, and the others have 2.8, almost like having a 6th gear. I did mine, and after a few starts, never notice that 1st gear is higher, requiring a bit more clutch feathering on starting from a stop. Many on here have done it, and I have not seen any complaints. Seems this was voted the best mod yet for the mighty 11. Do a search, and you will find detailed directions on how to do this, with photos and step by step details.
        put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
        79 F (Blueballs)
        79 SF (Redbutt)
        81 LH (organ donor)
        79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
        76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
        rover has spoken

Comment

Thanks for all the speedy replies! TADracer, "When in doubt, apply grease" seems like a good approach, and is probably what I'll do. There's a dimpled copper washer at the end of the bearing where the two halves of housing meet and I'm guessing this allows oil lubrication of bearing. But still, a little grease seems prudent.

I've read a bunch here regarding swapping the final drive and it certainly seems like a great mod. I'll probably do it at some point. For now, I'm really into expanding my skills and taking on new challenges, so I'm pretty committed to using the original drive. Also, there's only one final drive at my house right now, so it'll go back on. Just hoping to find the best way to do it so as to avoid locking up at 70 MPH.

Anyone else ever open up and re-assemble their final drives?

Thanks again.

1978 XS650 project

Comment

Some where on this site there is a link to a PDF download of the service manual that explains the inner workings of the final drive, how to shim one, and a proper rebuild. I would suggest looking into that, not only because of the great 1970s pictures and literary style, but for the answer to your grease or oil conundrum.

#10 is called an "oil seal" so I am betting there is no need for grease.
            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

It depends on how far apart you tore it down.
              It's basically a ring and pinion setup, so it has been shimmed for gear engagement and backlash.

If you have all the shims in proper order, you can reassemble it as it came apart.

Mind the torque on the pinion shaft, because there is a crush ring for bearing preload.

I know enough not to want to mess with them.
              XS1100SF
              XS1100F

Comment

Awesome info. Thanks much. Pretty sure I've not gotten to shim level. Certainly didn't see any as I opened it up before checking the manual . There are some hand engraved measurment specs inside case, so someone's been into it before. Hopefully they'll mean something to me after checking out the manual.

Downloading manual now. Here's the link, courtesy of CatatonicBug in another post.

1978 XS650 project

Comment

Downloading manual now. Here's the link, courtesy of CatatonicBug in another post.
                  Not sure if this manual deals with complete dissasembly of the final drive, if it doesnt PM me your email and I'll send you the factory shaft drive manual for a 750. More or less the same thing. Small differences in drive shaft, lube method and ratio's. Procedures the same.
                  1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                  2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Yup, above link is for main service manual.. Which immediately informed me that another manual was necessary. Was just off searching for a downloadable "Yamaha Shaft Drive Service Manual" I'll PM you now. Thanks extra much.

1978 XS650 project

Comment

Originally posted by Wayalive View Post
                      There are some hand engraved measurment specs inside case, so someone's been into it before.
                      Any differential unit has tolerance info such as the backlash engraved on it at the factory by the original assembler. You'll find it on every ring and pinion set, automotive, motorcycle, etc..
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Aha!! Now that I've got both manuals, (thanks b.walker5), all is well. Assembled drive last night, and am pretty confident. Ended up not removing any of the really sensitive stuff, so all should be fine.

On to middle drive...

yay xs11.com!

1978 XS650 project

Comment

Your welcome.
                          1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                          2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Working...
                          X