No announcement yet.

1157 socket as turn AND brake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did you wire that Ken? I presume you needed a different flasher as well?
    Corey J. Bennett
    '79 XS1100SF

Comment

Originally posted by Poprock View Post
      A dude on eBay is selling 4 red lenses for $3 + freight. Brand new, fit XS turn sig housings.
      Those are mine now, don't know why I need 4 red lenses, only have 2 signals on the rear
      1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
      "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
      My Photo Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by corey View Post
        How did you wire that Ken? I presume you needed a different flasher as well?
        The main flasher for the signals does not change. All you do is replace the hot lead pigtail that normally powers both brake filements, with a hot feed into the flasher, then two out feeds, one to each side:

In this photo, blue is the hot lead and pigtail for the running lights. Black is the grounds for each socket. What was a yellow pigtail has been removed.
        Last edited by Ken Talbot; 03-19-2009, 08:33 PM.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

wig wag

the wig wag should be standard on bikes i ordered one the second i saw the post
          bill hane

Comment

Alright, got her all done up. Looks good, man. Still don't have pictures yet. Working on it.

Functions perfect too. I can notice the presence of two extra bulbs on my electrical system though. Think its time to reclean and coat the charging system connections with grease (did a half ass job last time).

My only qualm is that my brake out indicator lamp comes on whenever I'm NOT depressing the brake lever or pedal. As soon as I hit the brakes the light goes off. Here is the way I have it wired...

Trailer module in has five wires: Right turn, left turn, brake, running light, and ground. I wired the first four to the respective hot leads on the bike and tied the module ground in with the turn signal and brake ground (is this the source of my problem?). I then ran the module out wires (left, right, running light, ground) the respective new bulbs and the ground was connected to the frame. Both bulb are grounded to the frame. The parking light taps in to the running light hot wire coming out of the module.

Any problems with the way I wired this setup?
            Corey J. Bennett
            '79 XS1100SF

Comment

Ground should ALWAYS go to frame! If it's not too far, ground to battery negative terminal is even better!
              This probably will NOT solve the brake out indicator, but it may.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

So both sides of the module go to frame? What of the original ground leads for the turns and brake then? Useless with this mod?
                Corey J. Bennett
                '79 XS1100SF

Comment

The OEM ground wires for the rear went to a large "washer" that was behind the mount bolt. On some of them, they had the ground go up through the harness, and it ended at the reg/rec. mount bolt. You STILL need everything grounded, it's just a good frame ground is the best way to go, IMHO.
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Got her all lined out. Just pulled the pin for the red/black wire out of the light checker harness. Cleared up my odd pull the brake, away with the light problem.

Now my oil pressure sending unit isn't working! My light is off constantly. I can make it light by grounding the sending unit. This has happened before. A quick cleaning and the unit is back to functioning.

...always something...
                    Corey J. Bennett
                    '79 XS1100SF

Comment

Working...
                    X