Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still NO spark!!

Hi guys and gals,
    Installed my mike's xs coils on my 82 xj1100 and it ran great more power and a lot smother thru the rev's! But i still have the same problem After driving it for about a total of 7 miles got home turned it off cranked it 3 times and it fired right up but on the 4th try no crank I Pulled number one plug and cranked it over no spark.
    The coils i took off had stamped on them to use a ballast resistor . But i looked all over the wiring harness trying to find one with no luck.
    I think someone replaced the coils that were on it before because of the wire splicing that was done to it.
    Here's my other thread http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...005#post197005
    Could running coils that were supposed to have a ballast resistor on my bike ruin my tci box?
    What should i try now??
    Any help appreciated !
    Mike

If my memory serves me correctly, the ballast resistor is under one of the backbone rails, close to the down tubes. the left one as your sitting on the bike. Have you checked the pickup coil wires under the timing cover? they move alot with the timing advances (centrifugal & vacuum) they have a tendency to break giving the rider many fits hunting for a ghost. if you tug on the wires and the insulation stretches more than you think an actual wire should stretch, they're probably broken, read the tech tips, it'll tell you how to fix it, it's not too difficult. as to weather the coils would fry the TCI, I don't know, I would imagine if the current draw is too high for too long a time, it might have an adverse affect on the TCI, but, there are those here on the forum that can fix those too. Don't get discouraged, you get it, I gave faith in you. have a nice day and ride safe
    I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

I checked the pickup wiring. My bike does not have an advance system with the pickups. It has a boost sensor that lets the tci adjust the timing curve thats programed into it.
      Man I wish I had a shop manual for this darn thing It sure would make things easier.
      It was running so good just a while ago!
      Could anyone tell me if i am supposed to have a ballast resistor on a 82 xj1100?

Mike

Comment

Sorry the coils didn't fix your problem. The XJ runs no ballast resistor. Yes, it is possible the TCI got damaged running the wrong coils. There might be a test for the TCI in the service manual. Should be able to download that manual from the link below. Are the connections to the TCI clean and solid?

http://www.4shared.com/dir/1570443/a...6/sharing.html
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Mike,

I can send you a PDF file of the XJ manual. You can either look at it page for page, or print it out if you want. The only problem is that it's rather large in size and most emails don't take over a 10mb file. This one is 12 I think. If you create a free email at Gmail (From google) I could send it to you.

All right in the area under your tank, there's a few little "Black boxes" that are your starting circuit cutoff relay, sidestand relay,(If you put it in gear with the sidestand down, it kills it), and the emergency stop switch (Tipover switch.. kills your bike if it gets dumped) Make sure that one is level. It says "Top" on the top of it.

Not very good with electrical.. but if you need that manual, let me know.

Tod

Phil beat me to it... Phil.. AWESOME assortment of downloads there! Way to go!
          Last edited by trbig; 03-17-2009, 07:42 PM.
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Yeah I checked the connectors and checked for cold solder joints inside like the tech tips page says to . Just came in from trying it again and she fired right up Something is getting hot and stopping the spark until it cools back down . Just gotta find out what it is
            Mike

Comment

Hey Mike,

Regrettably for you Phil is right, the ballast resistor style coils have only 1.5 ohms resistance, and the stock XJ coils use ~3.0 ohms, so they would "DRAW" more current from the TCI to drive them, and that could have overloaded the TCI and fried or damaged some components. However, it does sound like it still works...until it gets warmed up, then craps out. If a component in the TCI ...ie. a resistor got cracked, it might make a connection when cold, but as it was worked, would heat up and expand and break continuity causing it to stop working. This type of electronic component is something that RANDY should be able to fix on the XJ's TCI vs. the programmable chips....so you might give him a shout, and see about sending it to him for a good electronics expert inspection and repair!? It's still early in the season, so you shouldn't miss too many good riding days before you could get it back!!

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I downloaded the manual (owners and service) but the computer troubleshooting link is bad it tells me file is not valid.
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by black 82xj1100 View Post
                  link is bad it tells me file is not valid.
                  Sorry 'bout that. I had never tried to download it.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

Comment

Got another question for you .
                    I checked the brushes in the alternator and they are in good shape but when the bike has been running for a while is it normal for the alternator cover to get really hot? I am talking if you touch it with your hand it could probably put a blister on you if you had slow reflexes .
                    Mike

Comment

The alternator is an engine case, so it'll get pretty hot, just like the one on the other side.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

Comment

Well I finally figured it out.
                        You wont believe what it was though.
                        When a PO had it the sidestand switch went bad so they cut the wires about a inch away from the switch and just twisted them together and put a little electrical tape on them. Then they ziptied them across the bottom cross member of the frame leaving the taped end about a 1/16" from the muffler.
                        Corroded connections plus the heat of the muffler caused it to open the circuit and kill the power to the TCI !
                        Been driving it all over and no problems with it now. Even took it to the mountains this past Sunday. Now if this darn rain would just stop

Comment

Working...
                        X