How many friction plates in your XJ1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many friction plates in your XJ1100

My XJ1100J Maxim has a slipping clutch. 51,000 miles on the clock. No idea what the PO has done before and I bought the bike at 33,000 miles.

I ordered new clutch springs from EBC. When removing the old springs they were taller than the new ones from EBC. I checked the specs in the XJCD and the New ones were out of spec. but the old ones were not.

So I made a test for the old ones. Using a bathroom scale on my drill press I set the ram so it would compress the springs to .91 Inches, which is what I measured from the bike. Each spring measured 53 to 55 Pounds @ 0.91". I then measured the new EBC ones and they were 48 to 50 Pounds. Seems that the NEW ones are not good.
    I will use the old springs which are still in spec.

Question How many friction plates are in the XJ1100? Mine has 9.
    The XJCD says 8 are required.
    My plates are 0.015" below spec of 2.8mm(0.1102") actual measured at 0.095". I have 8 clutch2 plates, metal ones but should be 7 by the manual.

Is the manual wrong? Did the PO put in another metal and friction plate?
    Where and what brand friction plates should I get?

As always I really respect your opinions on these matters.
    Spring is here and I need to ride
    Best always
    Dell82
    Dell82
    Houston, TX
    82' XJ1100J Maxim "LASERMAX"
    SOLD 86' Kawasaki Voyager XII, 1200cc SOLD
    SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, FOR SALE SOLD
    SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, parts bike SOLD

According to the Yamaha fiche, 82 XJ1100J should have 8 friction plates and 7 clutch plates (steels). Some people put an extra steel in when changing the clutch due to wear on the pressure plate. Never heard of an extra friction plate, but anything's possible. Here's a link to the fiche - http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx
    Last edited by dbeardslee; 03-16-2009, 01:12 PM.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Hey Dell,

I would contact EBC if you ordered them directly from them, they apparently sent you the wrong ones!? I would NOT use the old springs, even though they may be within spec-length, they are not going to have the same tension/compression strength as NEW! They have been compressed for 50Kmiles!!

You can find decent OEM style friction discs from Partsnmore.com, and you can get a set of springs at the same time. IF you have an extra steel, you could put it back in with the new frictions for a really tight clutch pack! I've done that, a few others have also.
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

T.C. How many friction plates do I order? Mine has 9 and 8 plates?
        Dell82
        Dell82
        Houston, TX
        82' XJ1100J Maxim "LASERMAX"
        SOLD 86' Kawasaki Voyager XII, 1200cc SOLD
        SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, FOR SALE SOLD
        SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, parts bike SOLD

Comment

Hey Dell,

DB had it right, there are only supposed to be 8 frictions. There are 7 loose steels, and one steel is part of the clutch boss assembly that goes on after all the other plates are in place. Like was said, sounds like the PO put in extra plates trying to fix it on the cheap, but with that much wear on the frictions, guess there was enough room for both an extra friction and steel?
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

9 plates

I have a setup I use often on xs1100, 9 friction plates and 1 extra steel. I get the plates from Alto and a stock steel. I use stock springs because the traditional heavy springs tend to make it drag a bit. especially when cold.

This only works because the friction plates I use are thinner than stock.
            Last edited by JustJeff; 03-17-2009, 11:06 PM. Reason: aditional info
            Obsessed Motorcycle Mechanic / 29 year Owner of a 78 “E” model
            Restored 1196cc Turbocharged 211 BHP @ RWL

“Honk if you have never seen a gun fired from a motorcycle”

Comment

Working...
            X