"Whining" when moving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Whining" when moving?

Bike's running and seems to operate fine other than the fuse issues which will be replaced soon, but one thing I do notice is when I'm in gear and moving the bike will "whine" at a steady pitch, but as soon as I slow down to pretty much not-moving, the noise stops. I can be in gear and stopped and it won't whine, but once I start accelerating, it'll pick up. It doesn't whine in Neutral - but then again, you don't accelerate in neutral.

One other thing I notice is if I leave the bike for more than 15-30 minutes, I need to close the fuel petcocks or otherwise I leak fuel - yet the petcocks themselves do not seem to be leaking and are bone dry on the outside (most of the leaked fuel is coming out lower down the line).

Any idea what could cause the whine?
    1979 XS1100 Special

Have you checked your middle drive and final drive oils? There is a fill on the middle drive just below the air box area on the left side of the bike, open it and check the fluid level. Also on the final drive, check fluid level.

Other idea is to pull the final drive and check for grease where the drive shaft inserts into the final drive.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Looks like it might be the speedo - either the unit or the part that attaches to the front wheel. It's actually whining inside the speedo can if that's the case - we've figured out it has nothing to do with the engine revs, but with the actual speed - once you get over about 5mph, it kicks in.

I'll just have to deal with it until I can find a round speedo that pops up on eBay or something - they're pretty hard to come by. I have a replacement cable and unit that goes on the wheel, but I'd rather not have to take the wheel and everything off if I don't have to.
      1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

Unscrew the cable from the back of the speedo and zip tie it up so it doesn't fall down. Go for a little ride and see if that fixes it. It's probably your speedo gears themselves that are needing lubed.

The fuel leak problems are from your float valves leaking more than likely.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfpaws View Post
          Looks like it might be the speedo - either the unit or the part that attaches to the front wheel. It's actually whining inside the speedo can if that's the case - we've figured out it has nothing to do with the engine revs, but with the actual speed - once you get over about 5mph, it kicks in.

I'll just have to deal with it until I can find a round speedo that pops up on eBay or something - they're pretty hard to come by. I have a replacement cable and unit that goes on the wheel, but I'd rather not have to take the wheel and everything off if I don't have to.
          Ya it could be the speedo drive unit or maybe even the cable in the sheath. Lube the cable and if that does not cure the noise repack the rive gear before it seizes up on ya.
          Rob
          KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
          1978 XS500E
          1979 XS1100F Restored
          1980 XS1100 SG
          1981 Suzuki GS1100
          1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Bike's running and seems to operate fine other than the fuse issues which will be replaced soon, but one thing I do notice is when I'm in gear and moving the bike will "whine" at a steady pitch, but as soon as I slow down to pretty much not-moving, the noise stops. I can be in gear and stopped and it won't whine, but once I start accelerating, it'll pick up. It doesn't whine in Neutral - but then again, you don't accelerate in neutral.

One other thing I notice is if I leave the bike for more than 15-30 minutes, I need to close the fuel petcocks or otherwise I leak fuel - yet the petcocks themselves do not seem to be leaking and are bone dry on the outside (most of the leaked fuel is coming out lower down the line).

Any idea what could cause the whine?
            Not knowing if you have a standard or special (although it sounds like a special if it has an off position) sounds like the octo is not working/bypassed AND the needle valves in the carbs are leaking. IMNSHO you should fix both, which provides two layers of protection against this problem.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

If it is your cable whining, you might want to lube it. This can be done by taking the cable loose at both ends. Take a plastic bag, make a hole in it, and twist-tie it to the cable such that the speedo end of the cable is inside the bag. Squirt enough WD40 into the bag to fully immerse the end in WD. Wire it up so that it stays in position and allow it to sit until WD starts to drip out the other end. Take the bag off, and reattach the cable ends. I use WD40 - not sure if this will work with cable-lube.
              I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

That actually sounds like something that's been bugging me ever since i got my xs! I only notice it when i'm going 65 and up. It will get slightly louder the faster i go. Thanks for posting this question and and thanks for the replies guys! I'm will unhook it and test it out.
                1978 XS1100E Standard
                Kerker Exhaust
                Tkat Fork Brace

On Hold
                TopCat S.O.F.A. + Fuse Block
                Mike's XS Pod FIlters

Comment

Originally posted by Korr View Post
                  That actually sounds like something that's been bugging me ever since i got my xs! I only notice it when i'm going 65 and up. It will get slightly louder the faster i go. Thanks for posting this question and and thanks for the replies guys! I'm will unhook it and test it out.
                  Could it be the pillion whining for you to slow down?
                  Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                  Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                  Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                  750 FD Mod
                  TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

The other part that NEEDS lube now and then is the gears inside the speedo itself. DO NOT USE WD-40 as a cable lube, it will dry out, and the cable WILL break. Speedo cables need a graphite based lube that can be had at most auto parts stores. I use a silicon lube for the speedo, keeping the can up-right, and use the plastic straw to get the lube up into the bottom of the speedo housing.
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Easiest way to lube a speedo cable is to unscrew it from the head and pull the core out. Slather it down with some good lithium or moly grease and shove it back in. Takes about 5 minutes on an XS. On a car trying to do a headstand under the dash is a tad tougher. :P

FWIW, if you ever need to replace the speedo cable core, they are available at any parts house for less than 10 bucks. its a cut to length type of deal, same as on a car.
                      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Hi Wolfpaws,
                        as has been said, detach the speedo drive cable. Lube it while it's apart.
                        Now check how easily the speedo turns. Shove a Robertson screwdriver into the speedo square drive and twirl it. There should be little or no resistance to motion. BTW, speedos from any XS series Yamaha will work. 120mph, 140 or 160 or even the metric ones from Canada will all read true.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Ray - You gave me quite a pucker on WD and speedo cable, and thanks Ivan and Fred for the info on getting the cable out - who knew? I didn't realize that cable would come all the way out. I tried pulling it from the bottom before with no luck - has to come out from the top on mine. Appreciate you boys putting us all on the right track.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Appreciate you boys putting us all on the right track.

For you... 2nd train track. Sit there and wait.

Tod
                            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100
                            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Dang Tod, have you been taking Prometheus lessons?

Comment

Working...
                              X