New Forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Forks

Hello All, Well the project is coming along great. I hope to get it done before summer. Anyway I think that the forks are bent or at least one is. I can't really tell. Does anyone know a way to check? And does anyone have a set for sale if they are fubar?
    1978 XS 1100 Standard - Bobber project
    www.fullthrottlefurniture.com

A sure thing!

http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Never had to check a set, but one way I have heard to check is with either a known flat piece of steel plate, or a plate of glass. Lay the plate across both fork tubes. All four corners should hit same time, no wobble in the plate.

It is not uncommon for the tubes to get twisted in the trees. If there has been any kind of a lay down or hit into something, this is pretty likely. If you suspect this, lift the front end up and loosen the front axle bolt and the clamp, the front fender bolts, any fork brace bolts, and the lower triple tree clamps. Then you can line the front wheel with the bike and rear wheel. Tighten in reverse order.

HTH
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by BigRickxs1100 View Post
        I think that the forks are bent or at least one is. I can't really tell. Does anyone know a way to check?
        You can also use V blocks and a dial indicator on the tubes. Used forks for these bikes are dime a dozen.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Lightcheck

Originally posted by BigRickxs1100 View Post
          - - - I think that the forks are bent or at least one is. I can't really tell. Does anyone know a way to check? - - -
          Hi BigRick,
          Here's a way that costs no money and is accurate to within a few thousandths of an inch.
          Dismantle the fork legs to seperate the two fork tubes.
          Put the tubes on two sawhorses so they touch each other all along their lengths.
          Put a trouble lamp underneath so it's light shines up underneath the tubes.
          Roll each tube against the other while keeping them pressed together and watch the line of light that shines between them.
          If the line of light does not change as the tubes roll, the tubes are straight.
          If the line of light gets wider then narrower as the tubes roll, one or another of them are bent.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
          X