Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruise Control ?

There is a speed conrtol of some sort (grey)beside the throtle
    I was wondering if any one has ever seen or used them 1982 xj1100.
    Movin On Down The Line.
    Where Ever You Go.
    There You Are.
    '82'xj1100j Maxim

If you're talking about just a throttle lock... yes. I have one on mine.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Hi. I have had one on all of my bikes back to 79. I use mine a lot and they do work good. I use it when I check compression to hold the carbs wide open.

Trapper
      81 SH (SHotgun Special)
      110 mains
      idle jets 2.5 turns
      floats at 24mm

You live, You learn, then Die and Forget it all

Comment

Cruise...

Yeah, Sandy... I own an XJ, and mine has one of those as well. Just set the throttle where you want it to stay, (great for turnpike cruising), and lock it there. Then just flip it back down to release the throttle. Pretty cool for long trips when your right hand begins to wear out.
        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Cruise Control

Thanks guy! I am going on a long trip this summer so it would be great.
          Now I just have to see if it works.
          Are there any tips I should know?
          Movin On Down The Line.
          Where Ever You Go.
          There You Are.
          '82'xj1100j Maxim

Comment

Yup... adjust it tight enough so that it works.. but not so tight that you can't manually roll the throttle back. In an emergency, at first use of these, there's a tendency to just release the throttle and expect the throttle to drop and bike to slow.. or try to over-ride the throttle lock with brakes instead of flipping it off first. It becomes natural after a while... but at first, it may be strange.

Just be careful with it at first. Also.. on my XJ, there's really not much room to have this installed, so the throttle doesn't spring back on it's own. The rubber grip rubs it. I didn't want to slightly push the grip off the control to make room like some do.. so mine is a tight fit in there and my throttle doesn't naturally spring back anyway.

I also have a Wrist Saver installed on the throttle. This makes it so I can rest my grip around the throttle (Makes my fingers go to sleep after a while) and can just rest the butt of my hand against this to keep throttle up. It's just a couple different ways to keep the circulation going for me on long trips. You can see it and the throttle lock on mine.

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I use mine all the time. I have seen some made of plastic but mine is metal. Works well.
              Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
              '82 XJ1100
              '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Hey Sandy,

As has been said, make it just tight enough to hold, but allow you to forcibly turn it down in an emergency stop. Also, being able to tweak it's position without unlocking it will help in making minor adjustments like when running up a slow hill. On the flats it will hold the speed, but up hills, it'll slow down because the engine will need a bit more throttle input, so you can tweak it up a touch till you crest the hill, and then tweak it back down so it doesn't run 20MPH over the speed you want going downhill!

I had a mishap with mine when I first put one on mine many years ago in my ignorant youth. Went into a panic stop mode after cresting a blind hill on a busy highay at Friday PM rushhour, grabbed brakes, didn't pull in clutch for fear of overreving the engine, but didn't/couldn't turn the throttle down at the same time that I was trying to slowdown, ended up locking up the front wheel on the highway at 55mph as the engine kept pushing, threw the bike and me down when the wheel crossed up! Mostly bruised ego and some road rash, few cosmetic damages, but was able to put the broken spark plug tip back on and limp the 20 miles on home!
                T.C>
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                  - - - I had a mishap with mine when I first put one on mine many years ago in my ignorant youth. Went into a panic stop mode after cresting a blind hill on a busy highay at Friday PM rushhour, grabbed brakes, didn't pull in clutch for fear of overreving the engine, but didn't/couldn't turn the throttle down at the same time that I was trying to slowdown, ended up locking up the front wheel on the highway at 55mph as the engine kept pushing, threw the bike and me down when the wheel crossed up! Mostly bruised ego and some road rash, few cosmetic damages, but was able to put the broken spark plug tip back on and limp the 20 miles on home!
                  T.C>
                  Hi TC,
                  Britbike twistgrips all came with a friction screw so they'd stay where they were set when you let go of the grip.
                  Driving on the left with only hand signals you don't want your Norton's throttle slamming shut on the highway as you let go the grip to signal a right turn.
                  I have also long held the opinion that the killswitch that modern bikes all have is neither use nor ornament.
                  Which is certainly true if you forget to use the thing in an emergency, eh?
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

was thinking same just riding

e-switch, rather 4 motocross
                    82 XJ1100 Klonk= SOLD
                    No longer active member.

Comment

cruise

had the metal vista cruise on my 79 750 years ago and loved it. just bought a black plastic vista cruise from JC Whtney.

Comment

Originally posted by cmpnbd2 View Post
                        had the metal vista cruise on my 79 750 years ago and loved it. just bought a black plastic vista cruise from JC Whtney.
                        I wonder if the plastic one will last 750 years
                        Phil
                        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I wonder if the plastic one will last 750 years
                          Phil
                          No phil, the UV will kill the plastic! Need to find the metal one if you want it to last the 750 years!
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG
                          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                          X