A note on engine oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A note on engine oil

Towards the end of last season my motor developed an annoying chirp in the head. Pretty sure it was a valve bucket squeeking. I tried everything I could think of short of tearing the head apart, but it just kept chirping. When I changed the oil for the beginning of this season I used 20/50 instead of the 15/40 I had been running. Hasn't chirped since the oil change. Looks to me like this old engine likes the heavier weight oil a lot better.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Changing it more than once every 15k miles would help also!

ALMOST everybody uses 20/50.. quit trying to buck the system, man! I used a lighter weight in mine once (10/40) and my clutches started slipping pretty bad. It has slowly gotten better since I went back to the 20/50, so I think I glazed them a bit in the lighter oil.

Glad you got it straightened out. Now you'll be able to ride it down to the MOTM in Texas in June!

Tod

P.S. Now here comes the onslaught of peoples' oil preference. Another oil thread.. way to go Dewayne.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

One other thing to look at is the oil service rating. It seems the newer oils no longer have a zinc-based 'anti-scuff' additive in them as it tends to foul cats. As most newer engines are designed for these oils and/or use roller lifters, it works fine in them. But there's been reports of excessive cam wear in older motors (completely rounding off the cam lobes in some cases) so you might want to look at that.

Oils rated for motorcycle and diesel service still have this additive in sufficient amounts for the older motors.

'78E original owner
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I use the 15w-40 Severe Service (diesel) oils.

Brand not important, but these oils have to meet more service requirements for more applications than any other oils.
        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

oils ain,t oils

don,t know wether you guys over there can get Penrite, they have a HPR30 20w/60 specially designed for M/C,s it is really good gear,I change mine every 3000 miles in your lingo 5000 klm, the internal surfaces have no sludge build up at all
          never ride faster than your gaurdian angel
          can fly

1981 rh 5N5
          MIDNIGHTSPECIAL
          1188cc
          4 into 1 pipes with a transac muffler,
          as the motorcycling gods intended everything else stock std

http://s856.photobucket.com/home/steptoexs11
          http://steptoexs11.webs.com/
          http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum

1982 vf750 sabre

Comment

Originally posted by Steptoe View Post
            don,t know wether you guys over there can get Penrite, they have a HPR30 20w/60 specially designed for M/C,s
            I dont know about Penrite but Castrol does make a motorcycle specific oil. it is Castrol 4T and comes in the most common weights for cycles. It seems to have all the right ratings and additives we need. Have been using it for a couple of years and my machine seems to like it. Clutch works fine and the top of the head always is very clean each Spring when I do my check up.
            Mike Giroir
            79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

I've been running the cheapest oil I can find, and changing it every 2000 miles (no matter what Tod says - the "way to go Dewayne" line cracked me up ). Just changing to the heavier weight seems to be doing good things.
              I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
                I use the 15w-40 Severe Service (diesel) oils.

Brand not important, but these oils have to meet more service requirements for more applications than any other oils.
                Tried DELVAC in a Virago, seemed to make shifting more 'clunky'.
                XS1100SF
                XS1100F

Comment

I prefer EVOO. It's the choice of Emeril and Rachel Ray.

Comment

Working...
                  X