Just bought it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought it

New member here. Just picked up a 1978 XS 1100 bagger. 25k on her with new tires, has windjammer fairing and new battery. PO had carbs cleaned 6 months ago and ran very little. He thought the carbs were gummed up and negotiated a price of $1300.00 down from $1800.00 He started it and it ran only on 2 cylinders (1&2). It did start but would not idle or run without choke. I unloaded it at home started her up and I noticed the petcocks were turned to the on position. I turned them to reserve and all four immediately kicked in and bike idled great. Put some gas in her and ran her about 5 miles and she runs and shifts great. I am going to clean her up and post some pictures later and then started going through the bike and check everything out. I always liked the XS 11's but really liked the 1978 since that was the year I graduated. I will be on here from time to time bother you guys for advice.
    current bikes:
    1983 GS 1100E
    2009 Kaw Vulcan 1700 Classic

past bikes:
    1978 XS 1100
    1994 FZR 600
    1984 V65 Sabre
    1973 CB 750
    1974 CB 750
    1979 KZ 750 twin
    1977 CB 550
    1983 XJ 750 Seca
    1981 900 super sport
    too many others to list

Hey Figman,

Congrats on your new acquisition and great find!! Perfect timing, check out this thread for some memoribilia you might want to acquire to go with your new machine! http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19133&page=6

Next, check out the vacuum lines going to the petcocks, they crack and such, and IF they are not sucking, then they won't open the petcock valves, and no gas will flow. Prime is the other position to get fuel flowing without the need for vacuum action from the intake ports, the hoses go to the synch ports on the intake boots of 1 and 4. The vacuum advance hose from the left engine cover goes to the #2 carb body metal port. SeaFoam is great to run in the gastank to help keep the carbs clean and gum free!!
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
      Hey Figman,

Congrats on your new acquisition and great find!! Perfect timing, check out this thread for some memoribilia you might want to acquire to go with your new machine! http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19133&page=6

Next, check out the vacuum lines going to the petcocks, they crack and such, and IF they are not sucking, then they won't open the petcock valves, and no gas will flow. Prime is the other position to get fuel flowing without the need for vacuum action from the intake ports, the hoses go to the synch ports on the intake boots of 1 and 4. The vacuum advance hose from the left engine cover goes to the #2 carb body metal port. SeaFoam is great to run in the gastank to help keep the carbs clean and gum free!!
      All new gas lines and vacuum lines with 2 in line fuel filters. Believe it or not the bike was almost empty and just needed to be turned to reserve. I use seafoam regularly and agree it is a good product. The tank shows some rust inside so it looks like a will take it to a radiator shop or seal it myself. Carb boots are cracked but I do not think they are cracked completely through but will have them replaced soon. Thanks for your advice.
      current bikes:
      1983 GS 1100E

past bikes:
      1978 XS 1100
      1994 FZR 600
      1984 V65 Sabre
      1973 CB 750
      1974 CB 750
      1979 KZ 750 twin
      1977 CB 550
      1983 XJ 750 Seca
      1981 900 super sport
      too many others to list

Comment

Right on, F'man, good score !!

Can't wait to see the pics ...

I'm planning to relocate to Wilksboro in about a month .... good to know some other XSers in the area. NC is the heart of Harley country though ... beautiful state ... I'll be glad to get there.
        80G Mini-bagger
        VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
        79SF eventually dismantled for parts
        79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
        79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
        79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Welcome to the forum Figman.
          Sounds like you got a great deal.Its funny ,youd think as old as these bikes are that there wouldnt be many left,but it seems like theres a few new owners every month.You came to the right place for info and to meet some great people.
          Good luck with your new bike.
          Rick
          80 SG XS1100
          14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Sealing the tank may be more hassle and $$ than worth it. Just a small amount can be cleaned with some loose nuts/bolts and cleaner sloshed around...don't use CHAIN, it'll get caught around the overflow drain tube that runs thru the tank....just ask Fredintoon! Also, there's a float/fuel sender unit, again chain could damage it or get caught. Once you get it cleaned, and keep fuel in it, it won't rust much anymore, and you are running inline fuel filters to catch small pieces before they get to the carbs. Radiator shop could cause damage to the external paint job!!

Depending on your wallet status, you also probably don't need to replace the intake boots. There are threads about reconditioning them with several techniques, like plastidip rubber coating, takes many layers to fill in. OR black RTV generously applied to outside. Or superlarge heat shrink wrap. Or rubber repair tape from Lowes. You can get a new set for $100 on Ebay, Partsnmore.com, usually come with gaskets which were not used until the XJ1100.
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by thewiz View Post
              Can't wait to see the pics ...

I'm planning to relocate to Wilksboro in about a month .... good to know some other XSers in the area. NC is the heart of Harley country though ... beautiful state ... I'll be glad to get there.
              Welcome to NC. I am about 1.5 hrs from Wilkesboro. I have been here since 1993 and have met many nice folks.
              current bikes:
              1983 GS 1100E

past bikes:
              1978 XS 1100
              1994 FZR 600
              1984 V65 Sabre
              1973 CB 750
              1974 CB 750
              1979 KZ 750 twin
              1977 CB 550
              1983 XJ 750 Seca
              1981 900 super sport
              too many others to list

Comment

Sealing the tank may be more hassle and $$ than worth it. Just a small amount can be cleaned with some loose nuts/bolts and cleaner sloshed around...don't use CHAIN, it'll get caught around the overflow drain tube that runs thru the tank....just ask Fredintoon! Also, there's a float/fuel sender unit, again chain could damage it or get caught. Once you get it cleaned, and keep fuel in it, it won't rust much anymore, and you are running inline fuel filters to catch small pieces before they get to the carbs. Radiator shop could cause damage to the external paint job!!

Depending on your wallet status, you also probably don't need to replace the intake boots. There are threads about reconditioning them with several techniques, like plastidip rubber coating, takes many layers to fill in. OR black RTV generously applied to outside. Or superlarge heat shrink wrap. Or rubber repair tape from Lowes. You can get a new set for $100 on Ebay, Partsnmore.com, usually come with gaskets which were not used until the XJ1100.
                T.C.
                Thanks for the tips TC. A $ saved is a $ earned.
                current bikes:
                1983 GS 1100E

past bikes:
                1978 XS 1100
                1994 FZR 600
                1984 V65 Sabre
                1973 CB 750
                1974 CB 750
                1979 KZ 750 twin
                1977 CB 550
                1983 XJ 750 Seca
                1981 900 super sport
                too many others to list

Comment

Originally posted by tarzan View Post
                  Welcome to the forum Figman.
                  Sounds like you got a great deal.Its funny ,youd think as old as these bikes are that there wouldnt be many left,but it seems like theres a few new owners every month.You came to the right place for info and to meet some great people.
                  Good luck with your new bike.
                  Rick
                  Thanks tarzan. I have been trying to get this bike for 3 months and finally my timing was right.
                  current bikes:
                  1983 GS 1100E

past bikes:
                  1978 XS 1100
                  1994 FZR 600
                  1984 V65 Sabre
                  1973 CB 750
                  1974 CB 750
                  1979 KZ 750 twin
                  1977 CB 550
                  1983 XJ 750 Seca
                  1981 900 super sport
                  too many others to list

Comment

- - - ..don't use CHAIN, it'll get caught around the overflow drain tube that runs thru the tank....just ask Fredintoon! Also, there's a float/fuel sender unit, again chain could damage it or get caught. - - -
                    Hi Figman & welcome,
                    yeah, on sober second thought, I could have left the chain in there rather than wrecking that tank getting it out and then having to find yet another Standard tank. A lesson there in not doing things when you are angry. And even if you are using a fistful of nuts & bolts to knock the rust out of your tank, still take the fuel gauge sender out and use a blanking plate on the hole before making like a maracca player. Nuts and bolts large enough and shaken vigorously enough to knock the rust out could also damage the sender's float and float arm.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                    X