No announcement yet.

Fork seals discontinued for my XJ1100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork seals discontinued for my XJ1100?

After reading the threads regarding replacing these oil seals everyone recomends using the OEM seals because aftermarkets tend to leak almost as soon as you hit the road but the Dealer sez that they don't make them and to go with aftermarket. Are there any good brands I should look for?
    Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Hey Just,

OEM part #: 10M-23145-00-00

Well, I just checked BikeBandit's OEM parts listing, and they have the fork seals GREYED OUT, you can't put a quantity even though they show the part, so it looks like what the dealer told you is correct. I did find a listing for them still on www.cycle-parts.com but they only sell $75.00 worth as minimum order, and the seals were listed at $17.00 each.

So...you may have no choice but aftermarket, but you may not have much choice as brand, since the bike is pretty much an orphan, 1 year production run in USA, 3 for Canada, but few #'s there!?

Partsnmore has some listed as being made in JAPAN, for $10.00 a PAIR! If you use air in your front forks, you could reduce the stress on the seals by NOT using air, put in some progressive springs, most report not needing air after using them, and that may help the aftermarket ones to last, not leak so soon.
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I just used a set on PNM's seals ..

on my G. About 500 miles so far with 7lbs of air and no problems yet. Perhaps the problems with 'em have yet to come and there's not really enogh miles on 'em to make a definitive statement .... but .... they're still holding air and oil thus far.
      80G Mini-bagger
      VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
      79SF eventually dismantled for parts
      79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
      79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
      79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Speed and Sport shows 20 in stock, but they want $29.70 each!

Part Number Description Model Prefix On Hand Price Add Cart
        1 10M-23145-00-00 OIL SEAL XJ1100 J 10M 20 $29.70

http://216.168.60.165/speedandsportinc/index.tpl

Comment

Thanx again. Yea, I have used Bike Bandit a few times and I found the OEM part nos. earlier so it looks as if I will just take my chances with aftermarket and look into progressive springs, I saw the post on the earlier as well. I found out to late that I have a one year bike but that has been a problem with most the vehicles I have owned. Just figured I would ask as if you don't ask those who know it just costs more money and I ain't rich by no means
          Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

Originally posted by justme1100 View Post
            After reading the threads regarding replacing these oil seals everyone recomends using the OEM seals because aftermarkets tend to leak almost as soon as you hit the road but the Dealer sez that they don't make them and to go with aftermarket. Are there any good brands I should look for?
            I'm absolutely 99% certain that the fork seals in the XJ (10M) are the same seals as those used in the non-USA/CAN models: Sport (5K7) and RH (5N5). These were fitted in just about ALL the XS11 "Special" models, SF, SG, SH and are available under the part number 3H3-23145-00-00.

To be absolutely sure, check the part number moulded onto the seal itself... The number is 37-48-11 (37mm id, 48mm od and 11mm thick). IIRC, the standard XS's use a slightly thinner, 9mm seal...

And just FYI... Most oil seals are manufactured to the same tightly controlled specifications... However, they're not all FITTED the same way and that's why some fail, where others don't... I always keep the old seal to use as a drift/buffer when knocking the new ones into place... They tend to fit squarer that way and don't get belted all out of shape...

HTH

Miti
            Last edited by Miti-Babe; 03-10-2009, 09:22 AM. Reason: Spelling...
            One of those terribly nice chaps on XS1100.com
            • XS1100S (5K7) '83 "Sport #1 - Trike Donor"
            • XS1100S (5K7) '85 "Sport #2"
            • XS1100LG (4W1) '80 "A Tribute to Brian"
            • Hesketh V1000 '82 - Dream Realised...

Comment

I'm not sure if you've checked out the web site xjbikes.com but if you haven't there is a member on the site that runs his buisness through the site and he exclusively sells parts for the all of the xj's. Here is a link to the section where you can find aftermarket for seals for $21. Scroll down near the bottom of the page to find your bike and the parts you're looking for.
              http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/.../start=45.html
              '81 XS1100LH (almost ready)

Previous ride:
              '86 VF500F
              '82 XJ650J Maxim

"That which doesn't kill you most likely will the second time." -Eugene Krabs-

Comment

I'm not sure if you've checked out the web site xjbikes.com

I joined that website and got to post one time. Every time since, I sign in.. it'll say welcome.. and if I try to respond to something it will tell me to sign in again. So I sign in again. try to respond and it wants me to sign in again. I think I can hear laughter in the background each time.. lol. Never have been able to get on there to post anything since and can't find anyone to talk to about it.

So.. I always come back here to harrass all you nice folks.

you can find aftermarket for seals for $21.
                Finding aftermarket seals isn't a problem. It's trying to find the OEM seals that is. The OEM seals are supposed to be a much better quality.

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Have only installed one set of fork seals ...

on an XS11 but I have installed dozens and dozens of oil and grease seals in other applications and Miti hits the main point very well

I always keep the old seal to use as a drift/buffer when knocking the new ones into place... They tend to fit squarer
                  I found a PVC slip coupler around (which of course I can't find now to measure) but it is nearly exactly the same size as the seal's outer ring and then used it to drift the seal the final millimeter. As he says, the seal must be dead square to the tube or it will leak pretty quick ... I did notice a tendency for the seal to be maybe about a quarter of a millimeter cocked if not drifted in there just right.
                  80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                  79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

xjbikes.com

is there anyone that knows how to contact xjbikes please ?

as for talking to a human no chance.
                    The old ones are the best 9000 miles from new and rising
                    got a Honda VF1000f 1984 for the summer in the United Kingdom.Wow its Fast,Too fast for Me

1982 Xj1100J Maxim US Specfast keeps going
                    1984 VF1000F Interceptor UK need repair sticking pro link joint, off the road currently but in a newly built 17ft wooden garage, just got to finish it

Comment

I installed leakproof seals on my Special last year. It has been about 3000 miles, and no problems. I think that part of the problem comes with installation. Clean and cautious.
                      1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                      1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                      A quick death and an easy one.
                      A pretty girl and an honest one.
                      A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Just looked on XJbikes.com, and Chacal shows premium red seals for it. $21.00 a pair. I tend to trust this man's idea of quality. I wouldn't be afraid of using these. I don't know why he isn't on this site as well. He has a great supply of parts.
                        1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                        1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                        A quick death and an easy one.
                        A pretty girl and an honest one.
                        A cold beer and another one!

Comment

I agree about Chacal ... I have exchanged a few emails with him and he seems pretty trustworthy.
                          80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

Comment

Working...
                          X