I just got a old xj1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just got a old xj1100

im not too sure what modle it is but it needs alot of work iv been able to find alot parts on ebay same i do with my 78 gs750. i was wondering what kinds of tips you might have for me as this bike is in need of complete restoration new tank new crome bits and any tips on freeing stuck rings? the motor was last started in 02 and then the oil drained everything is clean in the motor so im sure its just stuck rings. i like working on these old bikes and if they have any notorious problems id like to be able to nip them in the butt.

Here is a good start of things to look through.

http://xs11.com/faqs/16-what-to-look...ed-xs1100.html

As far as stuck rings, several ideas have been thrown out, all the same concept. Put some type of oil in the cylinders through the plug holes, let it set for a couple days, then turn it over by hand to free it up. Oil suggestions range from "Marvel Mystery Oil" to ATF to Seafoam mixed with std oil, to just straight engine oil. Pick your poison. Try a search and you should find LOTS of info on this. Good luck and hope it frees up easy for you.

As far as notorious problems, well the carbs will probably need cleaning and I would replace the float valves and seals just due to sitting for that long. Also being an XJ most likely first gear will need some attention, that seems to go first in the XJ models. See the dremel fix under the tech tips.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Working...
    X