Question about shocks????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about shocks????

Hello everyone, I have a question about the stock shocks on my 78. I have been doing some research on all of the threads about shocks on the sight but have not found anything about my questions.

1. Have any of you used the stock shocks and just redone them. What I mean is that the shocks are in good shape. crome is good but the springs are corroded. Can I blast them clean and repaint? or powder coat? will it hold up.

2. Can you remove the huge reflectors without damaging the shocks.

3. I would like to lower it but have not found any 11in shocks that have the clean look i am looking for. Does anyone have any pics of yours.

The bike is coming along good just waiting on some parts to arrive. I have a broken camera so I have not been able to post all of my stock parts I will be getting rid of. But will be up on the sight shortly. If you are looking for something let me know I might have it.
    1978 XS 1100 Standard - Bobber project
    www.fullthrottlefurniture.com

I picked up a set of 11.5 Progressive 412 shocks for one SG and a set of 12" 418 progressive shocks for my other SG from Ebay , both sets around $100.00.You can find a better deal there on shocks if you keep an eye on the listings.
    BDF Special
    80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
    Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Thanks tinman I have been looking there aswell. This might be a stupid question but do all of the shocks have the same size hole for mounting?? And do you know if there are any clearence issues with different brands?

Comment

Originally posted by BigRickxs1100 View Post
        Thanks tinman I have been looking there aswell. This might be a stupid question but do all of the shocks have the same size hole for mounting?? And do you know if there are any clearence issues with different brands?
        The mounting holes are different on both sets of shocks. On my 418's I just took the sleeve for the bottom right from my SG shock and it fit perfect . I used a short piece of 1/2" copper pipe for sleeves in the rest of the holes. On the 412's I reamed out the inside of the 1/2" copper so the sleeve would fit.
        BDF Special
        80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.

Comment

OK thanks Tinman, I will keep that in mind. Have you heard anyone ever repainting or powder coating the springs?

Comment

You can powder coat the springs if they were just painted black before. You would need to remove the chrome sand or soda blast it before you powder coat it. Not really sure about painting over chrome.

I'll try it and let you know .I just picked up a new powder coating system today . I will add it to my list of parts I plan to powder coat.
            BDF Special

Comment

When I got my 418's from progressive they came with an assortment of bushings for a proper fit. I think there were about a dozen of em. I really was amazed at what a difference a good shock provided compared to my old worn out ones
              2-79 XS1100 SF
              2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
              80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
              Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Here is a link to some info about lowering the rear.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20972

Crazy Steve posted on it where to get the tubing to make the sleeves that go in the bushings.

"Progressive still lists stock length rear shocks for this bike (but no shorter versions) but does sell shocks as short as 11" for other bikes, so if you can stand new, it might be worth giving 'em a call to see if they can cross to something. If no luck there, the rear shocks they sell for H-D Sportsters will fit if you get some spacers to shim the shock eyes. What you need for that is McMaster Carr item 89955K27 (steel tube, .625" od, .555" id). The 'shorty' 11" Sportster shocks show up regularly on Ebay (got a all-but-new set for $80) and can be had with HD springs, which would probably be the best choice for the heavier XS. Anyway, just food for thought..."

I have Harley air shocks from a FLH on mine. I like them a lot, but I went the other way (raised the rear).
                Dave
                1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

Got duck's disease?

Hi Rick,
                  lowering your bike lets things drag real easy on corners, tilts the bike too upright on it's sidestand and needs the strength of a gorilla to get it on it's centrestand.
                  If you are inseam-challenged it's better to carve away the seat foam and narrow the seat pan to lower your arse a bit than it is to compromise the bike's handling by fitting shorter shocks.
                  If you are simply fitting shorter shocks for the look of it, ride safe, eh?
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                  X