Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the differences between the Maxim, Special, and standard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the differences between the Maxim, Special, and standard?

There's an '82 Maxim 1100 on Craigslist for $900 I'm thinking about picking up. What are the differences between the Maxim, Special and standard versions of the same model year 11?

Which on would be best for a tall (6'1") rider and his tall (6'0") girlfriend?

How much of a hit in torque am I going to be taking by taking the bike with a smaller rear wheel?

Can I take the gas tank/seat off of a regular 1100 and slap them on to the Maxim?

Any other info would be great.

Thanks.

Pros and cons,

The Maxim was the last year the 1100 was made for the USA, 2 more years for Canada. There was only 1 production year, and they changed the ignition system, TCI unit, has built in Cent. and Vac. adv curves programmed into it. If it goes bad, hard and $$ to find replacements, only made for 1 year!

The engine was detuned the most by that time,(EPA) so it's the weakest of the series, but it's still an 1100. The frame seating is more sportster style, you're up against the gastank and lower to the ground. I'm 6'6" and have way too much room between my crotch and the seat when I stand, feel cramped in the legs in the riding position. I've put an XJ tank on my 81XS Special, the mount differntly on the frame at the seat, so a swap the other way would be possible, but the XJ's tank is LARGER than a Special. Trying to put a Standards larger tank involves more problems with plumbing, fuel sensors, etc.!

You actually get more low end torque, power with the smaller wheel, it's the top end that you loose out a little on, remember it was built more for stoplight than highway cruising! But there are actually more tire selections in the 16 than 17 size.

HTH? T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Brief history...The XS11 Standard came out in '78. Generaly considered the quickest of the 11 series. Later came the Special, mostly styling differences (also had the Midnight Special) but they have a smaller gas tank, different guages, rear footpegs location is changed. Last came the XJ, styling is similar to the Specials but Yamaha increased the size of the gas tank, added LCD readout and other electronics (like the brush-style alternator) and made a few other changes, mostly to the suspension. Air adjustable front and rear, also adjustable damping. The XJ also went to square handlebars, which are adjustable for width and rise.

The main drawback to the XJ is the YICS system, which Yamaha began using in '82 to meet new emissions requirements. This de-tuned the engine a bit. other bits and pieces, such as the ignition black box, are unique to the xj and can be difficult to replace. Other quirks include an oil level gauge instead of an oil pressure gauge; the oil level gauge has been discontinued by Yamaha.

Don't get me wrong...I like my XJ and have had it for going on 10 years now, and I like the styling and features it has. But...you have to consider it is getting harder to find parts that are unique to the XJ, and the bike is going on 27 years old. Be prepared to spend time looking over eBay, Craig's List, and bike salvage yards to find bits and pieces. Like all of the 11 series, the bike is basically reliable and more die from neglect than wear out.

There are several subtle differences between all the models of the 11 series, but more so between the XJ and the earlier Standards and Specials. In '82 there were no other versons of the 11 series, the XJ was it. By then Yamaha had introduced the FJ, which took over as Yamaha's performance bike, eclipsing the XJ (and XS 11s), relegating them to motorcycle history.

To answere you other specific questions...

I am 6' 1". The XJ stock seat is 31" tall. The rear pegs are set further forward than on the XS models, giving the passenger a few extra inches to stretch on with. However, the XJ stock set is not particularly comfortable. I replaced mine with a Diamond seat; other options are available.

Yamaha changed to the 16 inch rear wheel in the '79 - '80 model year. Not much of a change; look at the circumference of the tires and the 17 inchers dow not hold much of an advantage, possilbly 5 percent, looking at Dunlop tire specs. In fact, a popular option is to fit an XS 750 - 850 final drive to the XS or XJ to drop cruising RPMs down a few hundred. In addition, the 16 inchers are rated for tubeless tires, the 17 inchers are tube only.

The XS tanks are not interchangeable with the XJ due to the differences in fuel tank sending units. Also, the XJ is fitted with vacuum-operated petcocks, characterized by 4 positions: PRI (Prime) On, Reserve, Off. Early 11s had mechanical petcocks with 3 positions: On, Off, Reserve. it may be possilble to change or modify tanks, nothing is impossible but this is not a straight bolt-on swap. It is also possible to defeat the vacuum operated petcocks by eliminateing the "octopus" that routes vacuum hoses to the petcocks.

Seats are not interchangeable. The XJ uses a set of 'fingers' that slip into catches on either side of the seat, quite a bit different set-up than the XS.

Be advised that Yamaha used the word "Maxim" on several models of bikes, and I have seen ebay adds for a Maxim (or parts) that turned out not be an 1100 or for an 1100. There were 550, 750, and 850 Maxims produced. Make sure the frame / engine number starts with 10M to confirm the bike is an 1100 Maxim.

Let us know what you decide to do.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

This is why I love this place. I learn something new every time I come here.

Incidentally, the rarity is part of the reason I bought a second XJ11. I wanna find a third that I can permanently winterize and relegate specifically to spare parts.
        "I said I never had much use for [a pistol], never said I didn't know how to use one."

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Maroon) - "Organ Donor" - Parts bike

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Black) - "Outrider" - Dynojet Stage 1 kit, Kerker 4-1 exhaust, AGM battery, Mikes XS coils, small inline fuel filters, Dunlopp Elite-3 tires

'06 Star Warrior (Custom Gadsden Flag Theme) - "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - Sissy bar w/ luggage rack, 4" risers, braided stainless steel cables and brake line; Mods on deck: new exhaust, new seat

Comment

I love my XJ1100

Click to resize...

1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I love it too, I'll need one of them some day.
            79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
            80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
            80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
            79 DT 100

Comment

Originally posted by Reziigrene View Post
              There's an '82 Maxim 1100 on Craigslist for $900 I'm thinking about picking up. What are the differences between the Maxim, Special and standard versions of the same model year 11?

Which on would be best for a tall (6'1") rider and his tall (6'0") girlfriend?

Thanks.
              Thought I would let you know, I am 6'02" and have the Special. It's very comfortable for me. I'll let the others comment on the Maxim's as they are much more familiar with them then I am.

Just in case you have not stood next to a Special, I'll post a photo of me next to mine so you can see the height comparison. Mine is the '81 XS1100SG though I think all the Specials are probably around the same height.

Don

P.S. thought I would add, I have had very serious leg/feet injuries so I was greatly concerned about holding the bike up at a stop light. After riding it all last summer, I had no problems at all.
              Last edited by DJinNH; 03-12-2009, 09:57 AM.
              currently own;
              1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
              2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                Click to resize...

What a beautiful bike you've got there.

Don
                currently own;
                1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment