Electrical help/suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical help/suggestions

I am ready to wire in the MS and the GM DIS and I need a power source for a relay that gets power when the bike is on run, but NOT start (ie not when cranking). thanXS
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Hmmmm

Does it need power prior to hitting the starter? if not, then perhaps off the headlight power?
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Looking at the wiring diagram, you'll find power on 3 main wires
      the red wire from the igintion (key) switch, for that matter you could probly
      use the red wire from anywhere, but it looks like that carries power at all times when the key is on,
      the r/y (red/yellow), also from key switch, cant remember if it carries voltage when cranking or not

the brown and the blue also carry power, but for lights
      you'll also find power on R/W
      1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
      "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
      My Photo Bucket

Comment

Latch off of the headlight circuit.
        Everything else is always hot or hot when the key is on.
        XS1100SF
        XS1100F

Comment

81XS;

What I think you wrote was that you want a power source that will be live with key in ON pos, then will drop out when you hit the starter button?? Then come back live when you release the starter button??

If so, use a SPDT relay, wire it's coil in parallel with the starter solenoid and use the COMMON & NC contacts on the relay to switch your source. When you hit the starter, the relay will pull in and disconnect. Source your power from any brown circuit. Watch your amps draw, you may need to up the rating on the fuse in whatever circuit you use.

Comment

You could install an oil pressure switch that will open at very low psi, and that will kill power when cranking but it will stay off when running also. Is that what you want?

Comment

What about using one of the relays that has the 87a output? I could set it up so that the 'run' power came from the 87a pin and the relay was triggered off of the starter power. That way when the starter received power and the bike was cranking, the relay would disconnect the power from 87a and put it to 87 (which wouldn't need to go anywhere).
              '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Hey, why didn't I think of that?

Comment

I am guessing you did and I was just to dumb to know. I should have made it more clear that I am learning but still a little slow with electrical.
                  '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
                  X