Relacement Guage Set ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relacement Guage Set ?

If I decide to go through the bueracratic nightmare of paperwork and inspections required here to fit aftermarket bits, and change my damaged speedo for something else, does anyone know what other Tacho's will wire up to an SG given that they are actually a frequency counter, as someone else pointed out in another thread.
    1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
    2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Paperwork? What do you guys have to do there for that? For us, these bikes are not even required to report mileage anymore, since they are so old.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Catatonic, that changes by state. in Ohio they still record the milage on my bike when I change title. Never have to record milage for annual registration on any year here.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

I just read through the other thread describing the paperwork... That's a mess! Glad I'm here and not there

I never thought about the differences in state requirements. When I was in California, I didn't have to report the mileage on my '68 VW bug, and I don't have to report it on my bike here in Missouri either. My cage is a 2006, and they do require the mileage for title changes, and they record it when they do the annual safety/emissions inspections too.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Hey Walker,

No other Yamaha tach works electronically like our XS11s! They are all mechanical!

A fellow Xsive used an electronic one from MikesXS, they are smaller gauges, but both the speedo and tach matched since you're replacing both, and you can get about IIRC 140mph readout. I don't recall if they have it in METRIC, but they sell them for the EURO folks as well as USA. The tach will connect to the ignition coils, not the white sensing wire of the OEM. There was a post about it a few months back or so, so hopefully a search for electronic tach or such would reveal it!? The MikesXS is the cheapest you'll find vs. others for Hardleys and newer Metric bikes!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TC touched on a good point that may or may not have already been covered. Have you tried the UK XS11 forum? They are perhaps more likely to have the metric version you want.

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
              TC touched on a good point that may or may not have already been covered. Have you tried the UK XS11 forum? They are perhaps more likely to have the metric version you want.
              Yes I have, and oddly enough there seems to be mostly imperial units available there too. Even searching UK bike wreckers has only turned up a couple of metric ones off 400's which only read too 120Km/h.

I've just had an email from a wrecker in Australia who has guages off a 650 for $250 but he hasn't indicated what condition, etc. He offered to send photo's so I've requested and now waiting on another reply.

In the meantime I'll have a look at options available from MikeXS. Thanks TC.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                A fellow Xsive used an electronic one from MikesXS, they are smaller gauges, but both the speedo and tach matched since you're replacing both, and you can get about IIRC 140mph readout. I don't recall if they have it in METRIC, but they sell them for the EURO folks as well as USA. The tach will connect to the ignition coils, not the white sensing wire of the OEM. There was a post about it a few months back or so, so hopefully a search for electronic tach or such would reveal it!? The MikesXS is the cheapest you'll find vs. others for Hardleys and newer Metric bikes!
                T.C.
                Despite a trying a number of search strings around elctronic tach I was unable to find any posts about the subject (i'm sure they're there, I just couldn't find them) so I emailled Mikesxs and asked the question. The response was somewhat unremarkable to say the least, two words "Try XS11.com

Can anyone advise if the electronic tach shown on Mikesx website will work on our two coil, four cyclinder setup. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't but I don't want to bear the cost of getting something out from the states that doesnt work.

My concern is around the two inputs to the coils from the ignitor unit. If the signal to the tacho is wired to only one of these will it read correctly, or will it show only half engine revs.

Comment

Yeah, Mikesxs is supposed to be kinda of a PITA about selling parts for use on an 11. His parts are for the 650 ONLY!! So you have to "stretch the truth" and tell him it is for a 650 or for two 650s.

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Hey Walker,

Well, I couldn't find it either! A fellow did a nice custom build/chop and put a pair of the MikesXS gauges, and I can't find the thread. He spoke about how he wired it up. Here's a thread about wiring up an aftermarket tach: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...nic+tachometer

I'm hoping another member remembers that bike/owner and will provide the thread?

The 650 uses the same wasted spark system as the XS1100, and the 650 uses one coil, we use 2, but connecting the tach to just 1 coil on our bike will provide the same # of revs as the 650.
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Would this work?

http://www.sportvue.com/
                      Pat Kelly
                      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Wow, the HUD would be pretty cool, but I don't even wanna think about trying to get that past our stupid rules system unless I had working guages on the bike.

I think I'll go buy a cheap chinese rev counter from an auto store and mess about with it a bit before committing to a full guage set replacement.

Comment

If a tach is not mandatory then mount a bicycle computer

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ghlight=cateye

I have the Cateye Astrale 8 on my E. It reads MPH to 180 (or metric equivilent)

http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/253

It works fine...... during the day. No backlight so you can't see it in the dark.
                          Pat Kelly
                          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Man!!! What is wrong with that MikesXS crowd. Now that I've asked questions about compatibility of their Tach's on an XS11 they wont deal with me

The last email I got basically said 'our parts only fit XS650's, goodbye.'

Are there that many 650's in the states that this guy can afford to limit his sales options to one model only or is he arrogant (ignorant) enough to truly believe that his parts will actually only fit a 650?

We have dealers like that from time to time here, but they generally dont survive in business for long.

Even if the parts are compatible I don't think I'll be buying from him. I prefer to spend my hard earned cash in places where they actually want to sell something and are interested enough to answer simple questions.

Rant Over.

Comment

It's basically known that you can't even mention the idea of using their parts on anything other than a 650 to them. I don't know the reasoning, but maybe it's just that they don't want to be bothered with trying to cross-reference parts, then deal with possible incompaitbilities. They are only sure that their parts work on 650's and any questions about 11's are often referred directly to this forum.
                              1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X