Chain tensioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain tensioner

I have read before about some of you fixing the annoying oil leak out of the end of the cam chain tensioner with JB Weld but has anyone ever bought the $5 replacement plug from Bike Bandit?

It's #15 on the schematic.
    http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...m8245sch220917
    http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Montreaux - RTV sealant will fix the leak, but I don't think I would JB Weld it. You can actually check your cam chain stretch through that hole, but not if it's epoxied closed. Haven't tried the Bike Bandit replacement, but they sell oem parts so I'm sure it's genuine yamaha. I'd have a hard time paying $5 plus shipping for a little rubber button, though.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

So should I remove the crumbling plastic piece and put RTV sealant on it, do I need to remove it from the bike first?

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

Comment

When I adjust the cam chain I use some of the grey gasket material to seal ot up since the gasket has been toast since I got the bike. The kind that comes in the squeeze tube. Last year as I was doing this I thought hummmm...So I cleaned off the area where the little plug was missing and sealed it off with some of the gaskey stuff. I did not fill the hole up just kinda held it there untill it stated to set up. No more leak. Just saying what I did.
        78E ... Gone but not forgotten
        2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

It's a good idea to remove it so you can get it clean and degreased so the rtv will stick. Crumbling doesn't sound good, but if it's still in one piece just put a little rtv around the outside and stick it in the hole. Allow adequate cure time. If the plug is too far gone you could probably make one out of rubber and rtv it in. There's no pressure on the plug, so all it has to do is keep the oil from dribbling out. I might even have an old plug in the garage. I'll check, and if I do you are welcome to it.

Jeffe's idea of making a plug sounds serviceable as well.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I will try to see if I can pull it out in one piece and rtv it back or cut a new piece of rubber.

Famous Myspace quote:

Comment

A PO on mine took what looks like the end off of a crutch and a hose clamp to hold it on. Seems to work fine for me.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Those plugs are actually coated metal if you haven't found that out yet. The Yamabond or Tribond that you put the engine cases back together with works well on it. You also might check the local Yamaha shop. I bought a couple from my local place and they were still $5 from them also.

Another thing though, is the adjustment screw on the side has an O-ring around that screw that will let oil seep past when it gets old. The oil will run down onto the end and look like it came from the cap.

If you wanted to JB weld the cap in.. it's no big deal. There's other ways to check cam chain stretch. If I ever get one to seal, I would never pull it off to check the stretch that way anyway... but that's just me.

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

There was a thread about putting a setscrew in the end in lieu of the cap, to help keep the tensioner from backing out. Someone threaded the body to 3/8 and used a carriage bolt or something similar instead of the original plunger, but it didn't work too well, and I think it ended up being determined that a set screw in the end would work as well.

Another solution that would cut your price by about $4.50 would be an appropriately sized oil galley plug from an auto parts store. They look like freeze plugs but smaller. I have a tensioner that is plugged in this manner.
                  Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Ivan - Oh contrair - the carriage bolt setup works very well, but I wouldn't scrap a good tensioner to make one. I wound up with a chirp in the engine shortly after the mod which I attributed to the carriage bolt. Turned out that wasn't what was chirping.

Montreaux - I looked high and low in the man cave, and could not find that darn button. Drives me nuts cause I know it's out there somewhere.

Comment

That's ok. I just pulled it out and pretty much all the thin plastic on the front crumbled off but is still intact around the lip, so I'm sure it will be ok.

Famous Myspace quote:

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
                        Ivan - Oh contrair - the carriage bolt setup works very well, but I wouldn't scrap a good tensioner to make one. I wound up with a chirp in the engine shortly after the mod which I attributed to the carriage bolt. Turned out that wasn't what was chirping.
                        I stand corrected.
                        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
                        X