No announcement yet.

Seized?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's lots of very detailed info buried in previous posts about porting, info that has been contributed by some XSives who really understand this black art. I understand enough of this to realize that just getting at it with my dremel tool in my carport would be a waste of time and dremel bits. It can potentially generate some good performance increases, but it takes someone who really knowswhat they're doing. Use 'porting' in the search tool at the top of the page and you'll get an idea.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

The average person doing any porting to these heads will genrally result in a HP loss.. not gain. Without a flow tester and such you're shooting blind. A lot of people even sand the intakes down smooth.. which is a no no. That casting flash helps atomize the fuel. No major carb work will ever really be needed with these besides maybe a new size jet. They will flow all you need up to the 1196cc.

I guess it's happened, but I've never heard of one of these rods breaking. I've seen where the wrist pin pulled the bottom half of the piston off.. then the rod got bent.. but never heard of one breaking. Doesn't mean it can't happen though.

Keep us informed.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Ok, turns out to not be seized after all... and luckily I found this out prior to ripping head off. Started ripping into the rear end, took out the middle drive unit, and then just for ****s and giggles, decided to try the starter. Mind you this was with no exhaust headers attached, the carbs need sprayed down a bit more, and no spark plugs, but she spun like a room at an AA meeting when all the participants fall off the wagon! Not sure what was wrong before, but I'm gonna just disassemble and cut the middle drive unit in half to do a quick and dirty chain drive. Only one question though, how wide is the swingarm at the pivot point? Thanks fellas.
        BARE BONES CHOPPERS: If it don't make it go faster, you don't need it!
        80 XS1100SG(cafe in progress *slowly)

Comment

XSCHOP did a full detailed post about chain drive on an XS. Look it up under "Who wants a chain drive" I think was the title.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by daveyg View Post
            Ok, turns out to not be seized after all... Not sure what was wrong before, but I'm gonna just disassemble and cut the middle drive unit in half to do a quick and dirty chain drive. - - -
            Hi Davey,
            let me suggest that you first carefully take the middle drive unit apart to see what's wrong with it. Once you have sawn the casting in half and then change your mind about a chain drive, you are phucked.
            Like, "Dear Andreas, I have sawn my middle drive in half - - - "
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Lol

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
              "Dear Andreas, I have sawn my middle drive in half - - - "
              OMG, I laughed so hard at this I almost fell from my chair!
              Trying not to offend since Aug 28, 2010

Disclaimer: I am an idiot. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
              Owner of:
              1979 XS1100F (The Pig)
              140 mains
              45 pilot jets
              Floats at 24mm
              Running Rich

"Arrogant, delusional tyrants can't be stopped by earnest words and furrowed brows. Action, strong bold action coming from a position of strength and determination, is the only effective deterrent." -Mitt Romney

Comment

Fred, thanks for that input. Can't lie, I lol'd That was what I was going for... I'm not just gonna throw that bitch up on the bandsaw and start going to town with it, I just like the way it sounds when I talk like a caveman...
                Oh, and FWIW, I've read almost all of XSCHOP's thread, and it mentions how a ZX-11 Kawi fits perfect, but I don't have a ZX-11 as an option so I'm trying to figure out how wide in inches (or cm) the arm is so I can choose between 3 other arms. My current choices are one from a 93 ZX-6, one from a 89-94 YZF600, and one from a ZF700/750, So I have the known widths of those three, just need to know which is closest, and work from there. Any help is much appreciated. Also cynicism is much laughed at...
                Last edited by daveyg; 04-02-2009, 04:14 PM.
                BARE BONES CHOPPERS: If it don't make it go faster, you don't need it!
                80 XS1100SG(cafe in progress *slowly)

Comment

Working...
                X