Brake light, turn signal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake light, turn signal.

No brake lights, only right turn signal flashes. Left turn signal stays on steady. Well, been working on my 80sg: brake system, and fork seals. Put on S/S brake lines (front), front MC taken apart and cleaned, also took the front brake sw apart and put it back together (think I done it right). Anyway, I turn the ignition sw to on and try the lights. No brake lights from either the front application, or the rear brake application. Also, the left turn signal stays on steady, while the right one will blink. ? Checked the rear light bulbs and they seem to be OK. Can anyone help? Thanks.
    Geno

Things to check

Originally posted by Gyrogearloose View Post
    No brake lights, only right turn signal flashes. Left turn signal stays on steady. Well, been working on my 80sg: brake system, and fork seals. Put on S/S brake lines (front), front MC taken apart and cleaned, also took the front brake sw apart and put it back together (think I done it right). Anyway, I turn the ignition sw to on and try the lights. No brake lights from either the front application, or the rear brake application. Also, the left turn signal stays on steady, while the right one will blink. ? Checked the rear light bulbs and they seem to be OK. Can anyone help? Thanks.
    Hi Gyro,
    if one side flashes your flasher unit is OK. Look for bad grounds or a low wattage bulb on the non-flashing side.
    If your brake lights worked before it was most likely something you did.
    Turn the key and the tail light comes on, right?
    Now hit the brakes and if the tail light goes out the bulb base ain't grounded.
    The running light filament is grounding through the brake light filament instead which it can't do when the brake light filament is also powered up.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Check your grounds at the signal lites, make sure they're clean and tight. I've had a similar problem with only one side flashing. I took apart the flasher relay by the fusebox and cleaned the contacts inside and re-gapped them. Problem went away. If you still have your glass type fusebox, I'd suggest replacing it.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks bikerphil and Fredintoon. Key on, tail light on. Press brake (both or either, hand or footbrake), and tail light still on and no change in brightness. I will do checks for the turn signal not flashing. So...these two problems not related? I did change the short wiring harness from the handbrake sw to the headlight where it plugs in, and I did take the handbrake sw apart but I'm sure I put it back together correctly. I guess these two electrical components I messed with will be the place I have to start. thanks again.
        Geno

Comment

Have you checked the brake light globe isnt
          blown?
          If you didnt mess around with the rear brake light switch
          no reason why it wouldnt work.
          Recheck your wiring you might have missed something.
          Electrical problems suck. good luck with it.
          pete

new owner of
          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
          zrx carbs
          18mm float height
          145 main jets
          38 pilots
          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Working...
          X