Another fork question ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another fork question ...

I was checking the fork air in my SF today and noticed that both forks still had air pressure, 7 and 13 psi. Prior to that, I thought both of the forks had leaked out all the oil and air and that's how they'd gotten so squishy but the external signs of leakage aren't present .... BUT, I was wondering .... If a fork holds air pressure, doesn't that mean it should hold oil without leaking too?
    80G Mini-bagger
    VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
    79SF eventually dismantled for parts
    79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
    79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
    79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

I guess it would be possible to leak oil out of the damping rod bolt at the bottom of the fork or the oil drain screw and only lower the air pressure slightly. The seals, for sure would leak air first before oil. Same with the air valve on top. For good handling, it's important to have the levels of oil in each fork the same. Same goes for the air pressure. I've done away with the air systems and gone the Progressive spring route, with no air pressure needed. World of difference in the handling. HTH
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks again, Bikerphil ...

That's kinda' what I thought ... guess I'll change out the oil and equalize the pressure and see how it handles then ...it's anybodys guess what's in the tubes now. I kinda' ride like an old guy anyway and this bike currently has a fairing on it, but only temporarily, further weighing down the front end ... I'm changing it back to stock naked SF ... so I'll probably just leave the factory setup alone so long as it works correctly. Really appreciate the input.
      80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
      79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

For the $65 to $75 online price, new fork springs are GREAT. As Biker said, you will no longer keep air in the forks, and the handling WILL be nicer!
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thank you too , Diver ...

I looked over the Progressive site and I guess I hadn't realized that you used their spring without the air. Just now learned this from Bikerphil and yourself.

I think I'll leave the Progressive option to the NO(next owner) though, at least on this bike for the time being ... think I'm gonna' try to get down to only one XS .... yeah, right This nice little Special is lookin' for a new home

Yes, my name is Steve, and I'm an XSaholic
          80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

Comment

Yes, my name is Steve, and I'm an XSaholic
            Steve,
            If you have a list like I do after your name, you are THEN on your way to being an XSaholic!!
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Geez, Ray ... I hate to put 'em all up there .... scares me to think about 'em

but here it is:

79 F Vetter bagger, bought almost new in 80 $old
              79 SF Vetter bagger daily driver
              79 F 'The Ernie Bike' $old in June
              79 SF Parts bike
              79 F 'Blue Balls' ... Recent acquisition and soon to be OTR
              80 G Mini bagger daily ride gettin a dose of new color as we speak

I have few spare motors too ... please, Dr Diver, please tell me I don't have a disease
              80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

Comment

Working...
              X