• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad news?

what does this indicate?
    not bad news i hope
    what will dissolve it to clean it up?

Last edited by 81xsproject; 02-20-2009, 10:21 PM.
    Tony Leeman
    79 xs11 f, touring
    adleeman@yahoo.com
    Lakeland, FL

Looks like air leaks from the carb boot gaskets. Should clean up with any solvent, such as thinner, carb cleaner, etc. Might want to think about replacing those gaskets.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Been a LONG time since I replaced my intake boots, but I wonder if you could use the generic gasket material to make you some new gaskets. $3.00 a big roll at Auto Zoo.. a little time, piece of cake. That material should seal well.

While you have your boots off give them a good once over... check the inside for cracks all the way through, maybe shoot the outside with new rubber. It will look like new!

Also, I'd probably change all the gaskets at once, not just the busted one. Give her a synch and adjust the mixture screws too, as you'll be changing your air mixture cause of the vacuum leak you are fixing!
      Corey J. Bennett
      '79 XS1100SF

Comment

permatex

I just pulled off two sets of boots off of my 80 and my 79 and neither had gaskets
        91 kwaka kz1000p
        Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Another option.
          XS1100SF
          XS1100F

Comment

I've used the Ford 2.3 thermostat gaskets many times on the carb boots. Works very well and saves a lot of time. It's funny to see the parts counter guy's reaction when you ask him for 4 of them.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Yes, you can use the bulk gasket material and make your own. I have made all of the gaskets at one time or another except the head gasket. Trace them, cut them out, and use a hole punch or a cheap paper punch for the holes. You could also just use some Yamabond or Tri-Bond instead of a gasket. As stated, they didn't originally come with gaskets.. but the gasket sets you buy for the bikes has them in them.. as well as if you order new intake boots, they come with them also.

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I used permatex form-a-gasket type A. worked like a charm.
                Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
                X