need conclusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need conclusion

here it is first my 2nd gear screwed up and i drove it for 4 or 5 months like that then all of a suden i get up jump on bike and i am like what the hell,there was no fifth gear it just disapeard and shortly after about 2 weeks so did 4th an aweek after that 3rd and now it is stuck in 1st gear wont even go in nuetral what happend?: sorry the make is a 1979 xs1100 special: thanx

5th gear and 2nd work together, and 4th operates 1st AND 3rd gears. From all the abuse the transmission seems to have taken, I would be very surprised if there isn't damage/bending of your shift forks. The shift forks are just cast aluminum trying to hold the gears where they need to go, and the gears popping in and out put tremendous sideways pressure on these forks.

I would look on Ebay for replacement shift forks, as well as the gears.. then do the Dremmel fix on the replacement gears. After replacement, this will probably give you a lifetime of use out of them.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

sent you a pm, I have parts

Comment

Most likely the gears and forks are still okay. When fork and shift pawl are kicked back not staying in gear it will cause the pins on the shift pawl to bend the tbs on washer holding pins in place. Pins will likely be laying behind side cover or in the pan. Also there likely will be a small snap ring in the panthat came off off end of shaft holding shift forks. Take it apart and do the tranny fix and you will find the other parts as stated above.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
          Most likely the gears and forks are still okay. When fork and shift pawl are kicked back not staying in gear it will cause the pins on the shift pawl to bend the tbs on washer holding pins in place. Pins will likely be laying behind side cover or in the pan. Also there likely will be a small snap ring in the panthat came off off end of shaft holding shift forks. Take it apart and do the tranny fix and you will find the other parts as stated above.
          I second that. I had exactly that same thing happen to me. The 5th gear shift pin had been knocked out, and the tab on the washer was broken off. After taking the tranny apart, I found the pin, the busted-off tab, that snap-ring and a few other questionable pieces down in the oil pan. It was like a scavenger hunt!
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
            I second that. I had exactly that same thing happen to me. The 5th gear shift pin had been knocked out, and the tab on the washer was broken off. After taking the tranny apart, I found the pin, the busted-off tab, that snap-ring and a few other questionable pieces down in the oil pan. It was like a scavenger hunt!
            AND ME TOO! I caught mine before any pins other than 5th feel out though. I bought something new from Yamaha (don't remember which part, sorry) and put it back together. WA LA! Fifth gear is back.

While in the pan I found an extra circlip, if I remember right. That one came from the clutch side... WTF, right? Pulled that apart and reassembled....

Been going good for the last four years or so... *fingers crossed*
            Corey J. Bennett
            '79 XS1100SF

Comment

Working...
            X