Does this look right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this look right?

Both branches of the main wiring loom have been routed OVER the frame cross-bar that the tank bolt mount point is on ... and to me, it just looks wrong ... almost too high. I have nothing to compare with that has the TCI located in the same position as the F and I can't remember from my past Fs. FWIW, my others have the loom going under that cross-bar ... sooo ... should it go OVER or UNDER ... who knows?

Last edited by Ken Talbot; 02-17-2009, 11:24 PM.
    80G Mini-bagger
    VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
    79SF eventually dismantled for parts
    79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
    79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
    79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

yes!

Hey steve just checked in my shop manual and that is correct should go over the frame there and the next one ahead as well
    91 kwaka kz1000p
    Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

My 79 SF goes over just as yours does. I just looked.
      Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
      '07 FJR1300

Comment

If you look carefully at the pictures in the Clymer manual, you can see that the wiring harness goes over the frame. I spent a looooong time going through that thing when I was reinstalling the harness on my bike (the PO had taken it out for some slicing and dicing)...

Comment

on my 79 f its under.But thats the way i put it back together,Not knowing any better
          Pete J

Comment

Hey, Pete ..

Any interference from the airbox? I think it would be better underneath too ...
            80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
            79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

On my E model it goes over, there is plenty of room for it between it and the bottom of the tank.
              Fastmover
              "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
              lion". SHL
              78 XS1100e

Comment

Yeh it was like that on mine too, but when I made the low seat I put it under the fame and used a zip strip to hold it up. The new seat would have crushed it.
                79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                79 DT 100

Comment

As robert_hollis said in his post the clymer manual shows it is correct as pictured in "thewiz" posting. If you have access to the Yamaha manual, you will find a cable routing page in the Chapter 7. appendices, page 7-15 in which it shows the main cable over that bar and the next.

Comment

Maybe I'm lacking certain cognitive skills...

and my visual skills, or rather, the lack thereof, ...lol .... are legendary. I had stared at all of those diagrams for a while and couldn't say for sure that I knew where that damn shake was s'posed to be, Boyat68, .... it just looks funny to me and I may re-route it just for spite anydamnway .

Thanks everyone for the input ...
                    80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

Comment

Working...
                    X