Fork Air valve repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork Air valve repair

My PO had some how crushed the air valve for the fork. A simple replacement you might think, however, as common as the valve is to all Yamaha bikes made with air forks, it is none the less not something you can find at the dealer.

So, I took a look at it and thought, lets just bend it back into shape, well, the brass bent and then broke. So I now had an air valve with a hole in the sealing surface, not much good. Then, the light went off, brass....I have soldered alot of brass to copper pipe. But, I do not have an air valve tool and did not want to torch the rubber in the valve.

So, soldering gun came to mind for electrical repair. So, I took a piece of old gasket material laying around and fitted to the inside diameter of the threaded ring, and took my soldering gun and solder and filled the hole. This left me with a glob of solder on the outside which I then filed down to about the major diameter of the threads.

Remounted the valve, and it sealed to let me put air back in my forks!! And as a bonus, it was soft enough that the cap threads recut the threads into it no problem!!
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Sounds like it'll hold up. If for some reason it doesn't, I have an extra one you can have.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks Phil,

It only has to hold up until I can bank enough to get the progressive springs upgrade.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Working...
      X