No announcement yet.

Ignition coil.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome! Great to see another electrical guru on the site. I am always coming up with crazy electronic ideas.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Any ideas on how to fix the TCI box? Top Cat you are correct, it is severely corroded and there is evidence of moisture and dirt. So much corrosion that the foil is peeling of the circuit board. I tried resoldering it but it's covered in this goo that is really difficult to get a good solder joint.
      Last edited by conyo; 02-17-2009, 09:52 PM.
      1981 Yamaha XS-1100 LH (Midnight Special)
      Miami, Florida
      United States of America

Comment

Hey Conyo,

You'll have to get with RANDY, he's the other Electrical GURU that has experience with repairing the 2H7 TCI's, so he might have some suggestions for the 4RO box? I'm really just a shadestree survivalist! I posted in my previous reply a work around for using a different TCI than the 81's, but it will involve a bit more mechanical work and a few more parts! See what Randy has to say about this board! Good Luck!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Go back to the pick-up coil wires...

And while I was reading through new posts and typing a reply, four more people replied and now you've posted a pictue of a nasty looking board. Yikes! Pick-up coil wires may be th least of your worries for now.
          Last edited by Ken Talbot; 02-17-2009, 11:29 PM.
          Ken Talbot

Comment

I tried resoldering it but it's covered in this goo that is really difficult to get a good solder joint.
            The "Goo" should be a protective coating put on most circuit boards. Radio Shack DOES have a cleaner that may help. They also make a "PEN" that will "draw" new traces on the board, to replace the broken ones. The big problem I see is the pads for the connectors look as if they are gone. That WILL be the hardest problem to solve. I just don't have an answer at this time.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
            X