Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition coil.

Hi -

This is my first post on this forum, and I want to tell everyone what an unbelievable source of information about my bike this is, I thank you all in advance for any help.

Before I begin, forgive me in advance about the stupidity of any questions I may ask and the length of my post, I know just enough about engines to get me in trouble and I want to be thorough so I get the right answer.

I recently inherited an 1981 XS-1100, that hasn't been run in a while, and it's service manual (thank God) the bike is about 60% put together, the rest is in boxes. Apparently the owner wanted to restore it and never finished. He claimed the bike ran before he started taking things apart. Luckily the engine was on the bike. The carb was off the bike and really gummy with old gas. A friend of mine (an auto shop teacher at a high school) cleaned it. I reinstalled the carb, using the service manual and this website as a guide. I replaced all the gas lines, using the diagram. I removed the spark plugs and added some Marvel Mystery Oil through the spark plug holes. Checked and added oil, since the previous owner drained the bike of it. I then let the oil seep its way down. The following day, with the spark plugs still off, I turned the engine. Using the low tech method of covering the spark plug hole with my finger, I determined there was compression on all 4 cylinders. Hell it squirt out the oil I added the day before like a fountain. Reinstalled the spark plugs and I tried starting it, the bike did turn over, I heard compression. Saw that gas was getting to the carbs. The drain in the bottom of the carbs was open and drained gas. I tightened all four of them. Still didn't start.

I covered the spark plug holes and checked the coils by putting a spark plug on the spark plug wire and holding close to the bike frame. 1 and 4 had a spark (left coil) while 2 and 3 (right coil) did not. Though 3 had an weak intermittent spark once in a while. When I swapped the connectors to the coils 1 and 4 was not sparking and 2 and 3 did.

It's the ignition coils right? My question is, even with 2 cylinders not firing, wouldn't the bike still start, albeit rough? So could it be the coil or something else and the coil?

If it is the coil, what is best course of action. From what I have read original OEM is expensive if available and it's no longer made.

Used from eBay? Cheap, but how would I know what I am getting and how much life could be left in the other one?

Which do you all recommend, the MikesXS High Output Ignition Coil Upgrade on the Tech Tips section or getting a Dyna from Dennis Kirk?

Thanks in advance again for any help and I apologize for the long post. I really can't wait to start it up. This is my first motorcycle.
    1981 Yamaha XS-1100 LH (Midnight Special)
    Miami, Florida
    United States of America

There are coils available, so no problem there.

However, first you should check the pick ups under the left hand engine cover.

There are some wires there that have a tendency to break, which will effectively cut off the coil to those two cylinders.

You can find more info and the fix procedure in the repairs section of these forums.

I haven't done that repair, yet, so others here have far more experience.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Hey there Conyo,

Welcome and congrats on your acquisition, your FIRST BIKE EH, hope you are scheduled to take a MSF(motorcycle safety foundation) riding course??? These machines are OLD, but still very powerful, and can hurt or kill you quickly if you don't know what you are doing!

As Craz said, coils are available, the MikesXS are the economical route and still provide very strong spark vs. the $$ of the Dyna or equivalents!!

The 81SH doesn't have the mechanical/centrifugal advance mechanism under the left timing cover, so the pickup coil wires don't get flexed anywhere as much as the older pre-81 machines, so they are less likely to be the problem as of yet!

With the bike sitting around, corrosion can form on many/most of the electrical connectors including the ones for the TCI/Black Box/Ignition module up under the seat! Pull those connectors, spray contact cleaner on them, perhaps even get a little brush or something to scrape up the contacts, then dry and put them back together FIRMLY.

You tested the ignition coils by swapping the connectors, and the lack of fire moved from one set to the other, so it looks like the ignition coils are probably good, but were not getting the triggering signal from the TCI??

Remember to have BOTH plugs from the paired coil you're testing contacting the engine, because the spark has to travel from 1 to the other, and IF both are not in contact, you won't get/see a spark! After cleaning the TCI connectors, retest for spark. IF still none or very little from 1 coil, then it might be the pickup coil wires, but these later model TCI's have been known to go bad also.

Regrettably they incorporate the cent. adv. timing curve into their internal chips, so you'll need to find one for the 81, and they were only made 1 year, so are a bit more rare and $$. Another alternative is to get the timing parts for the left timing plate, the cent. adv. parts, and then put them on and then you can use the earlier 78-80 TCI's, the 2H7 series, much easier and cheaper to find, and repair....we have a GURU that does just that for the 2H7 modules. He can't repair the 4RO/81 modules due to their internal adv. programming! His name is RANDY.

Also, he has a diagnostic guide on his web page after you find him in the Members list, it can also show you how to inspect the soldering joints on the TCI where they connect to the external plugs, those can also go bad, and you can RE'sweat'/solder them and this can also sometimes fix this type of problem!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Yes, I took the MSF riding course. My friend is a teacher there. When I get the bike up and running I will practice and even take the advanced course.

Thank you for the information. I will look into it tomorrow. I figure the TCI may be the culprit. I will let you know how it turns out.
        Miami, Florida
        United States of America

Comment

Here's a link to the pick up coil wire repair. I've had to do this on both of my '81 Hs, and I've done it on a number of other years. Along with dirty carbs, this is one of the most common things that need to be done on an XS11 that hasn't been run for a while.
          Ken Talbot

Comment

TC, I have an XS-1100 LH is there a difference.
            Miami, Florida
            United States of America

Comment

Originally posted by conyo View Post
              TC, I have an XS-1100 LH is there a difference.
              Good to see another Midnight Special owner on here! Welcome to the site. Looks like you've already discovered how great of a resource this site is, but don't be afraid to ask whatever questions you have. Lots of people on here with plenty of experience and all are very willing to help. Where are you located?
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

Yeah, read this before you go grubbin in the TCI.

Originally posted by Ken Talbot View Post
                Here's a link to the pick up coil wire repair. I've had to do this on both of my '81 Hs, and I've done it on a number of other years. Along with dirty carbs, this is one of the most common things that need to be done on an XS11 that hasn't been run for a while.
                XS1100SF
                XS1100F

Comment

I live in Miami. Later on this afternoon after doing errands with the miss, I am going to check the
                  Miami, Florida
                  United States of America

Comment

Hey Conyo,

The LH isn't different with regards to the ignition components from the SH. Okay, Miami, Fla., high humidity and salty air, lots of corrosion there, have fun cleaning those contacts!
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

welcome conyo

this is a great forum,, read all you can!!! it keeps the crankys away..i also am new and lucky to find this place! take care ;;slow mo!
                      The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
                      moemcnally@hotmail.com
                      i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

Well, I opened the TCI. Well lets just say that I have soldering to do. The layer of dirt near the contacts was about a 1/4 of an inch, no lie.) Luckily, that is my strong suit. (I worked in a TV repair shop for six years. I have built my own electronic components, so this shouldn't be too bad (fingers crossed)
                        Miami, Florida
                        United States of America

Comment

Better you

than me. I am no electronics guru.

My only wisdom, look over Randy's site and info. He has been through those things quite a bit. Even the knowing can benefit from others experiences in my opinion. I always say I'd rather learn from someone elses mistakes than my own.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Where is the link to Randy's page? Please.

EDIT: GOT IT. Thanks.
                            Last edited by conyo; 02-16-2009, 09:25 PM.
                            Miami, Florida
                            United States of America

Comment

I took the TCI apart and resoldered the connectors. I reinstalled the box and now there is no spark. There is extreme evidence of moisture inside. The white connectors are falling apart.

I guess I have a bad TCI?

To start it, I took the gas tank out and rigged the hoses so that it connects into a funnel. When I pour gas into the hoses. I am surprise how quickly the carbs take the gas.

Is this normal?
                              Miami, Florida
                              United States of America

Comment

Working...
                              X