78 Special?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 78 Special?!

Alright... so I'm thinking about buying this on eBay. But it says 1978 Special? I didn't think they made specials in 78. It looks identical to my missing side cover...

Does the seller mean 1979 Special side cover? This is what I'm presuming.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=300288711412
    Corey J. Bennett
    '79 XS1100SF

ya Corey you are right on both counts. the first 11 specials were79s and that sure looks like the right cover off a XS1100SF
    Alias Larry R in Kelso WA

When in dought, punch it.
    XS1100LG Precious current
    XS1100SF Ruby gone to a better home
    KZ900B MIA stolen (ALL bike thieves MUST GET OFF THE PLANET more politically correct ???)

Comment

Good to get reassurance! I went ahead and purchased the item after comparing photos via this internet contraption. Wanted to be sure I wasn't getting a 80-81 side cover... I think those are more rounded toward the tail of the bike though...

Thanks!
      Corey J. Bennett
      '79 XS1100SF

Comment

My 81 is more rounded. I also have noted they changed the badge every year. Mine says "Eleven Special" with an almost Nike swoosh under the special. The 80's did not have the swoosh, but said the same thing I believe. the 79, as you have seen, said "XS ELEVEN SPECIAL".
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by corey View Post
          Good to get reassurance! I went ahead and purchased the item after comparing photos via this internet contraption. Wanted to be sure I wasn't getting a 80-81 side cover... I think those are more rounded toward the tail of the bike though...
          Thanks!
          >
          Hi Corey,
          never mind the shape, you can't see both sides of the bike at once, right?
          I have a '79 Std rightside cover on my SG because it's what I could find at the time.
          The important difference is that the '79 cover hangs on slots and the '80 cover hangs on holes. The knobby thing at the bottom is the same.
          For sure pop-riveting a sheet aluminum backing plate in there and modifying the slots into holes with a Dremel tool will let a '79 cover fit on an '80 bike.
          I'd suppose the reverse would let an '80 cover fit on a '79 bike too.
          But those steenkin' badges won't match? Back to not seeing both sides at once. Or just remove them and plug up the holes when you re-paint the covers.
          Last edited by fredintoon; 02-13-2009, 11:37 AM.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
          X