Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone help me figure out how to pull this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use a heavy pair of welding gloves or a piece of firehose. Lay the gloves or hose on top of paperweight(with engine and crank in normal upright position) proceed to hit real hard with a sledge hammer. Ites a tapered fit, the blow will usually loosen it and it pops right off. thanx andreas

Comment

Originally posted by Winterhawk View Post
      I don't remember if this rotor is magnet or not. Just speaking in general about flywheels and such. I'll see if I have 2 and I'd give you one.
      Hi Winterhawk,
      It's only a magnet when the ignition is turned on. Like the XS650 the XS11 rotor is an electromagnet.
      the XS650's rotor is a twirling electromagnet that is energised via brushes and sliprings.
      The XS11's rotor is a twirling pole piece for a stationary coil. Beats having brushes, I guess.
      Both rotors are kinda frail. Take 'em off carefully with the proper puller or fritz them up. Your choice.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Well.. I hope the pride doesn't cost you bent/broken parts. You can pull the crank and everything out of the block for tanking with it still attached. But to each his own. You could wait until the the crank is removed and do it Andreas style and hit it from behind. I would get some new crank seals to install while you're there so you actually have an excuse as to why if you tear something up.

Just remember to properly attach it. Just sticking it on there and cranking the bolt down won't work. I have ruined two stators from doing it that way when the unseated rotors rub them. Lots of carb/brake cleaner to the tapered crank.. lots to the inside of the rotor to make sure every little bit of dirt or grime is gone. Set it on the crank and give it a good hard whack with a rubber or dead blow hammer to set it. Then screw in the bolt and torque it with the transmission in gear and rear brake applied.

Tod
        Last edited by trbig; 02-13-2009, 02:08 PM.
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own