From synthetic to regular oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From synthetic to regular oil

Hi guys! PO used synthetic and i am currently using synthetic. I was wondering if it's ok to go back to regular oil in the engine? Trying to save some money.
    1978 XS1100E Standard
    Kerker Exhaust
    Tkat Fork Brace

On Hold
    TopCat S.O.F.A. + Fuse Block
    Mike's XS Pod FIlters

It should be good. During my career I have never seen an engine go bad or leak by going back to regular oil. However if the you try switching an engine that was made to run just regular to synthetic it can cause leaks or rather seapage here and there but very minor. It should be good to go.

Comment

There should be no problems switching back to regular oil. When switching from regular oil to synthetic in older vehicles, sometimes new leaks develop. The reason is that synthetic oil molecules are smaller than conventional oil molecules. The smaller molecules can sometimes silp past seals that held the larger molecules of the regular oil. The only down side to switching back to regular oil is that there is more wear on the engine when using it.

I went from regular to synthetic and back to regular in my '65 Cutlass and have had no problems.
      Last edited by 65oldsboy; 02-05-2009, 03:26 PM.
      79 XS1100 SF - name TBD - possibly "Divorce Maker" Kerker 4 into 1, K&N filter in stock air box
      79 XS1100 SF - parts (for now) - "Divorce Maker II"
      79 XS1100 SF "The one that got away" sold in 1993.

Comment

ok thanks guys I'll just stick with synthetic to keep the engine happy
        1978 XS1100E Standard
        Kerker Exhaust
        Tkat Fork Brace

On Hold
        TopCat S.O.F.A. + Fuse Block
        Mike's XS Pod FIlters

Comment

Considering the engine was not designed for synthetic oil, just change back. Because of the tolerances produced back in late 79 and early 80 wear should not be any more than normal .
          Mike Giroir
          79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Synthetic is better than dino oil and doesn't break down so bad. If the bike doesn't slip the clutches.. count your blessings and stay with it.

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

False economy.

Originally posted by Korr View Post
              Hi guys! PO used synthetic and i am currently using synthetic. I was wondering if it's ok to go back to regular oil in the engine? Trying to save some money.
              >
              Hi Korr,
              Switching will not save you any money. Synthetic oil costs twice as much as normal oil but it lasts twice as long so if you switch back to normal oil you break even on the oil cost and lose money on buying twice as many oil filters.
              The list's majority opinion is, use normal oil in the engine because some synthetics make some clutches slip and use synthetic oil in the intermediate & rear drives because it lasts longer & works better.
              So I'd say only switch if you have a slipping clutch and even then, that slippage could have a cause unrelated to what oil the clutch is in.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I also had trouble in the past with synthetic Mobile1. When on the highway (75+mph) I suddenly lost a quart between a couple of tanks of gas. I think consumption can be radically higher because the rings can't wipe the cylinder walls as well...too slippery. Funny thing, after that I used Castrol dino and went 2000 miles without needing to add any oil.
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I had the same expirance! I went back to Castrol and the consumption went away!

Deny
                  1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                  1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

use castrol.

non syn oil.

youll be happier and your motor will too.

Comment

youll be happier and your motor will too.
                      Huh?? If there isn't a problem with oil consumption, leaks, or clutch slippage.. him AND his motor would be much happier with fully synthetic. It's better stuff. I wish mine liked it. On the other hand.. I've never tried it in this motor.. hmmmm.. lol.

Tod
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own