new wiring harness???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new wiring harness???

well i've gotten the wiring harness completely torn out now. it was easy getting it out but the putting everything back together part sorta scares me.

anyway, the colors on many of the wires are faded but other than that seem to be in pretty decent condition - the connectors are definitlely showing their age. would it be worth re-doing the wiring harness or would i be wasting my time. I'd like to replace some of the connectors but don't know where to get my hands on replacements.

any thoughts?

Well, getting the connectors is the easy part. Try Cycle-Recycle If I were doing it I would focus on just replacing worn or damaged connectors.
    1979 XS1100 Special with 81 carbs

Richmond, Virginia, USA

Comment

I vote RiskyBusiness as Most Valuable new member.

Comment

Aw shucks. I'm not really that valuable, I am just doing a lot of the same things you are doing so I am looking up the same web sites. I had a lose connector behind the headlight that kept my tail light from working. I thought I was going to have to replace it, but some spray on electrical connection cleaner (Home Depot - $8) and working the connection in and out was able to fix it. There is not a lot of slack in these wires so I was not too excited about clipping pig tails and installing new Molex plugs with no slack to work from. If I redo the wiring in mine I think I am going to add a little more slack at the ends to make future replacement easier.

Richmond, Virginia, USA

Comment

i am having a terrible time trying to find some color coded wire. i may end up just using a few different colors and labeling the wires somehow.

maybe i should just use what i have.

Comment

Originally posted by beechfront
            i am having a terrible time trying to find some color coded wire.
            10 Colors enough?

You might also want some braided wire covers

Richmond, Virginia, USA

Comment

Definitely most valuable new member

though i don't think the teflon stuff will work - too expensive and only 100 ft rolls anyway - their regular stranded wire may may do the trick.

I was also just going to use heat shrink but some of the stuff on your second link looks like a much better product.

and thanks again!
              Last edited by beechfront; 04-23-2003, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X