Cam chain cavity seal? Athena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam chain cavity seal? Athena

I havent done an intro yet but, hello to everybody. I have been a lurker for a while and own a 78 xs11. I have a question about the cam chain cavity seal.

Does this go on over the head gasket ? The Athena gasket kit I got did not come with one? Am I supposed to use the old one? Or does this style gasket not require it? Any help would be greatly apprecited. Bob

Welcome. When replacing the head gasket, that cam cavity seal is no longer used. Just leave it out.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Welcome to the board.

It is to be left out after a rebuild or head removal.

HTH

Paul
      Paul
      1983 XJ1100 Maxim
      1979 XS1100 Standard
      1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

Thanks.

Thanks a million! That is good news. I had a feeling and almost put the head on. But stopped and figured I better ask. Back to work I go. I will post some pics of the rebuild soon..

Comment

Careful when re-installing the timing chain. These motors run backwards (clockwise from left timing plate) as opposed to most other motorcycle engines.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
            Careful when re-installing the timing chain. These motors run backwards (clockwise from left timing plate) as opposed to most other motorcycle engines.
            Im a bit lost. Do you mean for rotating the crankshaft. always go clockwise from the left. I think the book says the same thing in different words. Thanks again.

Comment

crank rotation

Yep, you got it. Just making sure. Glad you have the manual.
              Last edited by bikerphil; 01-14-2009, 09:52 PM.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

Comment

Yeah, the engine runs backwards.

Originally posted by 46and2 View Post
                Im a bit lost. Do you mean for rotating the crankshaft. always go clockwise from the left. I think the book says the same thing in different words. Thanks again.
                Hi 46&2,
                not the first time I've posted this but it bears repeating.
                An improvement that Japanese Mfrs get little credit for is standardizing primary reduction via a pair of gears coupled with an all indirect twin shaft transmission. This lets the engine run forwards while the clutch runs backwards and the final drive sprocket (or bevel) runs forwards again. Except for the XS11. They kept the twin shaft transmission but went to a Hyvo chain drive for the primary reduction so that great hulking crankshaft has to spin backwards and thus precesses the wrong way on corners.
                One doubts that Yamaha's designers had even heard about the 1930's New Imperial, but New Imperial's designers also replaced their primary chain with a gear drive. Alas that those two gears drove a British concentric shaft transmission where the clutch and output shaft have to turn in the same direction. So New Imperial's engine also had to run backwards and New Imperials also had a reputation of having "interesting" handling.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                X