Exhaust System Mufflers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust System Mufflers?

Hi there! Just wondering if any of you gurus of the hallowed XS1100 can help me!!?? I have a set of exhaust pipes that have the set up where cylinder 1 and 4 go to one side of the pies and cylinder 2 and 3 run to the other side. The pipes kind of criss cross. The end where the mufflers attach have a 2" opening. It seems to be a bit of a challenge to find a set of mufflers that fit this system??! I'm sure you guys have come across this but it's new to me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Cameron
    CG Lisk
    1980 X1100 Special
    Standard Tank Conversion
    Bagger

It sounds like you have a set of Mac pipes. They also made pipes like that. I have a set of them on an MNS parts bike, and they have the large collector. I also have a set of Jardine 'criss cross' pipes, but they don't have a collector, each pipe slips into the muffler.. You should be able to use any Mac muffler on your pipes. They make a taper tip, and a turn out tip.

Comment

Thanks John, these actually don't really have a collector on them. The two pipes criss cross and run down and basically join into one 2" pipe where the mufflers slip on, on each side. I'll check at my local bike shop and maybe go through a catalogue that lists the mufflers and their dimensions. I should be able to find something in there I hope. Thanks again, Cameron
      CG Lisk
      1980 X1100 Special
      Standard Tank Conversion
      Bagger

Comment

aftermarket?

hey, guys.
        new to the site-I'm looking at a really nice almost stock '80 XS 1100 Special. First, what is a good price? the seller's asking 1700; i'm thinkin' 11-12 is about right. Second, is there a good aftermarket 4-in-1 exhaust for this bike?
        Thanks-stache
        looking at an '80 XS1100 Special with lust in my eyes
        now own: '81 Suzuki TS250 project
        Previous bikes:
        Montessa 360 enduro
        Yamaha 175 enduro
        Suzuki GS1000
        Suzuki GS750
        Honda CB750
        Kawasaki 100 "Bushmaster"

Comment

A good price is what someone is willing to pay for it.

Very hard to say what it would be worth to me without knowing alot more about the condition. Seeing it, hearing it start from cold, and run. Seeing how it rides, and handles and stops. Checking out the gears, especially first and second when you HAMMER it. (I missed this on mine because I went easy on it.)

What is it worth?? How much should you spend on an engagement ring?

You can look up the book value here:

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...Y&gc=AM&gtc=MC
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

I think the value on these bikes is just like anything you might find at an antique store or art auction. Just like beauty, value is in the eye of the beholder. If you have the cash, and you really like what you see, then it's worth every penny to you. However, for someone with a different amount of cash, or knowledge of how to recover a neglected bike, the value may change.

Personally, I like to use ebay and craigslist to get a baseline for prices on this kind of thing. See what is being asked/offered for a similar item. Most of all, research the item you are looking at purchasing. It is very important to know what you are getting into, and determine whether you are willing to take care of what MIGHT happen if things don't turn out the way you hoped.

I paid $500 for my MNS. It hadn't run in over a year, and I knew it would take at least a little bit of work to get it running. I come from a mechanical background, so basic engine work is not too scary for me. However, when I tell some of the other riders at work about the things I have tackled, they are astonished at how "brave" I am to dig into this machine on my own. I don't see it as bravery at all. It's just patience and a willingness to learn.

It took me about 2 months of tinkering and another $200 in parts to get it up to snuff, but I'm VERY happy with my purchase. I would say that I got a good deal for $700 and some elbow grease. I know that if I had taken it to a shop to be repaired, I would have ended up spending a LOT more than that, but I also would not have learned nearly as much in the process. I'm glad I didn't spend $1400 on an '06 200cc bike (like my neighbor did), just to have one that looked pretty and ran right away, and then learned later that I would be much happier with a larger bike.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

gracias

Wow, thanks for the input! NADA was much more helpful than KBB.
              Any suggestions on current 4-into-1 pipe vendors?
              looking at an '80 XS1100 Special with lust in my eyes
              now own: '81 Suzuki TS250 project
              Previous bikes:
              Montessa 360 enduro
              Yamaha 175 enduro
              Suzuki GS1000
              Suzuki GS750
              Honda CB750
              Kawasaki 100 "Bushmaster"

Comment

Check the choice of pipes JCW sells. Reasonable price, look and sound good. I grafted a set of there "extra" long mufflers on my 80G. Took a pair of pipe adapters from Pep Boys to make them work. I able to modify all the brackets without cutting or welding. Course I was working with a set of OEM header pipes but in true XS fashion, most naything can be made to work.
                When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Yep! I've had this XS for over 15 years and have had to make almost everything fit!!! Thanks for the info. I'll take a look and see what they have!! Take care.
                  CG Lisk
                  1980 X1100 Special
                  Standard Tank Conversion
                  Bagger

Comment

Hey Cameron,

IF you have a local Harley Shop, check there, they often THROW OUT OEM pipe/mufflers that owners remove to put on their LOUD pipes, and you might be able to find a decent set of mufflers quite reasonable, that you wouldn't worry much about mucking around with in trying to get adapters to fit them,etc.!
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks T.C.! I appreciate your help. I sent you a PM regarding this situation! There's a method to my madness on this exhaust thing!! Take care. Nice to hear from you!
                      CG Lisk
                      1980 X1100 Special
                      Standard Tank Conversion
                      Bagger

Comment

Originally posted by clisk View Post
                        Hi there! Just wondering if any of you gurus of the hallowed XS1100 can help me!!?? I have a set of exhaust pipes that have the set up where cylinder 1 and 4 go to one side of the pies and cylinder 2 and 3 run to the other side. The pipes kind of criss cross. The end where the mufflers attach have a 2" opening. It seems to be a bit of a challenge to find a set of mufflers that fit this system??! I'm sure you guys have come across this but it's new to me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Cameron
                        Hi Cameron,
                        Canadian Tire is your friend here. Their muffler parts rack will have adapters to go from your 2" openings to whatever size of muffler you want to install on them.
                        BTW, how did your Standard gas tank swap work out?
                        A search will show you how I did mine.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

As far as 4 into 1 pipes go, I am partial to Jardines set up. You can get all chrome or black pipes with a stainless steel muffler. I did hear a rumor that they discontinued pipes for the XS but not positive on that. I got a set a few months ago on EBay for just under $400, but haven't seen them for a while. Mac makes pipes for them also, but in my opinion they don't sound as good and the chrome doesn't hold up as well as the Jardines.

Comment

Tis no RUMOR regarding Jardine!

Hey there Mausinn,

It's not a rumor, Jardine quit manufacturing the pipes for the XS11 series, I got that directly from Jardine in an email! What folks are able to find is NOS and such, so congrats on your acquisition of some quality pipes. Yep, Mac's aren't as good, but aside from EURO $$ stuff, it's now about the only NEW game in town, besides a custom $$$ set!
                            T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                            X