Is a missing fuse block a problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a missing fuse block a problem?

I've had my bike for just over a year now and it has not been an issue, since fuses are in-line on individual wires.

But a new friend who's far more mechanically inclined than I am looked a little shocked at the empty space behind the right-side side cover on my 1982 XJ11.

Should I worry?
    1982 XJ1100J Maxim
    2000 BMW R1200C

“We go to heaven for the climate, hell for the company.” – Mark Twain

If all of the correct ciruits are protected by the correct size of fuse then it shouldn't pose a problem. If they aren't then it is time to worry.

To be on the safe side it wouldn't be a bad idea to check a wiring diagram to make sure that all the circuits are adequately protected.

If the wires haven't been hacked too bad then wiring in a fuse block isn't that hard a job and it certainly makes life easier to check fuses, plus it gives a stable mount for the wiring.
    Ernie
    79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
    (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

fuse panel

It shouldn't really matter as long as everything is wired properly. It just doesn't look as neat. The function ability should be the same.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

TC has nifty fuse blocks for sale.
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

TC has nifty fuse blocks for sale.
          With the fuse block GONE, it shouldn't pose a problem, but on the XJ with a stock fuse block and/or backing plate in place, there's not enough room for these fuse blocks TC sells to attach to the backing plate and fit under the sidecovers like the XS does.

Mine doesn't look nearly as nice, but I attached some female ends to the wires, heat shrinked over the metal end, and plugged the spade type buss fuses into those.. then tucked them under the sidecover. It was just my preference to get away from the old glass fuses.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Son did it and it worked.

My son Henri has an XJ and because one of the connectors broke replaced it with an inline fuse. Long story short he ended up replacing all of them and its workwed fine. no problems at all.

Comment

TC's fuseblock in an XJ!

It took me a little while to find the thread where I had helped BNE with MadMax-im this summer, and we fitted the fuseblock into his XJ, but it took some modifications of the metal mounting plate, trying to retain the OEM AUX fuse terminals. See below for details, but it will fit and the side cover will close with some form of modification. Yes, it's not plug and play!
              T.C.

I decided to inspect the wiring at the fuseblock....a good foundation right!!

Being an XJ, the fuseblock I offer/sell doesn't fit horizontally on the TOP/outside of the OLD block/plate, hits the side cover preventing it from closing!! There's also a metal mounting/battery frame that the plate screws into, and so the wire connectors would be hitting it IF mounted horizontally behind the OEM plate, even with cutting an opening.
              I finally got the idea to mount it vertically, I could have lopped off the plate at the purple lines. I used one of the 3 screws for the Aux. Term and screwed it in from behind securing the fuseblock to the plate that way, cutting off the other mounting hole/flange off of the fuseblock so it wouldn't hit the frame!!

Here it is mounted on the bike all the wires run, but haven't put the fuses or cover on yet! I even rerouted the AUX terminal thru the fuseblock so he could still have the use, but with the ATCO fuses!!

Another point of problematic grounds that we talk alot about it this one, the engine to frame above the middle drive!!
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I wonder about using an ATX fuse block, Which would be the very small spade fuses, but still shaped like the ATC. I think that might be the ticket on an XJ.

Comment

This is getting way more "interesting" and a tad more complicated than I anticipated.

TC, what's the "issue" with the ground over the middle drive?

Best,

Leon
                  1982 XJ1100J Maxim
                  2000 BMW R1200C

“We go to heaven for the climate, hell for the company.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Look at the condition of the screw and the connection. That amount of corrosion will not provide a "good" ground. I believe TC ment to point out the need to clean that up to re-establish a good ground.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Fuse Block

My son and I put 2 of TC's fuse blocks on both of our XJ's. Had do do minor adjustment to get them to fit, but nothing major. Did not have to alter the side covers. We did not use the old fuse block plate. Also have put them on the 78E XS and 80 special,really like those fuse blocks TC.
                      Thanks Tom
                      82 XJ DAILY RIDE
                      78 XS1100E FIXING UP
                      79 XS1100F PARTS BIKE
                      79 XS1100SF NAKED BIKE
                      80 XS1100SG FULL DRESS BIKE
                      82 XJ IN THE ROUGH

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
                        I wonder about using an ATX fuse block, Which would be the very small spade fuses, but still shaped like the ATC. I think that might be the ticket on an XJ.
                        Come on Ivan,

You know most of us shadetree mechs have meathooks for hands/fingers, and so I don't know if I could hold onto an itty bitty ATX fuse!!

Hey CoolTom, how about a few photos of your XJ's and the way you rigged the fuseblocks into them??

Yeah, clean those grounds!!
                        T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Comment

Kat those pics are from the famous TC Tech days I had last Aug at TC's home.While that is a fuse block on my XJ...I dont think its the same fuse block TC has forsale. He made those mods on the fly...so to say...BTW it should be noted that the fuse block on MadMax is somewhat protruding out thus making it a very tight fit with the side cover. In fact I have to press the side cover in a bit to get it to line up with the screw hole. But everything work fine
                            1980 XS650G Special-Two
                            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Arrrrgh Bad Coffee

I dunno why I thought KAT originated this thread...I didnt sleep in a Holiday Inn last nite
                              1980 XS650G Special-Two
                              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                              X