I think I know but....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I know but....

I had to pull my carbs back off today, another stuck float needle. Really got to get the in line filters and new fuel lines on now, been trying to get it worked out but need more fuel line to make it work. Anyway, as I pulled the crankcase vent off of the air box, I got a white curdled milk looking goo out of it. Was at the top and bottom of the hose. Hose was not plugged completely.

My thought is that I have been messin with the bike and starting it and letting it idle up but not quite warm all the way up or riding at allm xhexking if I had duel flow to the carbs due to changing routs for filter install. Thinking that moisture has been condensing in the vent tube and mixing with the oil in it to create the goo.

Seem right? Am I overlooking an indication of a problem? Oil in the crankcase does not have any of this in it from what I see looking in the fill hole. And the oil has less than 150 miles on it.

Thanks for any thoughts.
    Last edited by DGXSER; 01-10-2009, 04:24 PM.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Yep.
    More apparent this time of year.
    You can see it on the oil fill of your car too.
    XS1100SF
    XS1100F

Comment

My father was an aerial sprayer, and is now a bush pilot in Alaska. Having over 10k hours on air cooled engines, I guess he knows what he is talking about.

To the point. My dad will never start an aircraft engine without bringing the oil temp to operating temp. He says that getting the temperature up evaporates the water out of the engine oil that condenses in it while it sits. He is very picky about his engines, but his engines last forever, since he maintains and operates them effectively.

Something I found interesting about flying in Alaska. When setting up for a landing, pilots of reciprocal engines, can't just yank the throttle, since it will cool the engine unevenly and possibly break things due to thermal contraction. I guess -50º air is pretty good at cooling. So think about that the next time you ride in -50º temps. Might save you an engine.
      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
        My father was an aerial sprayer, and is now a bush pilot in Alaska. Having over 10k hours on air cooled engines, I guess he knows what he is talking about.

To the point. My dad will never start an aircraft engine without bringing the oil temp to operating temp. He says that getting the temperature up evaporates the water out of the engine oil that condenses in it while it sits. He is very picky about his engines, but his engines last forever, since he maintains and operates them effectively.

Something I found interesting about flying in Alaska. When setting up for a landing, pilots of reciprocal engines, can't just yank the throttle, since it will cool the engine unevenly and possibly break things due to thermal contraction. I guess -50º air is pretty good at cooling. So think about that the next time you ride in -50º temps. Might save you an engine.
        Flew to Shanghai yesterday.
        While going over Canada, the outside temp read -75! I know that was at 30K' AGL, but dayum, that's COLD! I don't care who you are.
        XS1100SF
        XS1100F

Comment

??

The duel is easy to figure out. Many people use it instead of the correct spelling dual. But I have no idea what you were going for here:

allm xhexking

Little help?
          Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
          1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
          23mm float height
          120 main jets
          42.5 pilot jets
          drilled stock airbox with K&N
          Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
          spade fusebox
          1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Pastor, That is called fingers not connected to the brain for a moment.

Should have read "....or riding at all, checking if I had FUEL flow to the carbs...."

I read that yesteday and just shook my own head at myself.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

fingers not connected to the brain for a moment
              Mine stay connected to the brain... they are just way too fat sometimes! lol.
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                Pastor, That is called fingers not connected to the brain for a moment.

Should have read "....or riding at all, checking if I had FUEL flow to the carbs...."

I read that yesteday and just shook my own head at myself.
                Ha! I'm familiar with that feeling myself!
                Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
                1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
                23mm float height
                120 main jets
                42.5 pilot jets
                drilled stock airbox with K&N
                Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
                spade fusebox
                1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                  Mine stay connected to the brain... they are just way too fat sometimes! lol.

Retaining water again?
                  When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Retaining water again?
                    By now... you KNOW that if a person who is in fact retaining water.. that is one thing you DON'T ask. Why not just.. "Honey, this Midol will help you not be so bit@hy.."
                    But in my case.. no.. not retaining water. Just retaining the holiday meals.
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

"Talk about bloat..."

Geez... I've put on twenty pounds since you saw me in June, TRBIG.
                      (You and I could be twins... though I'm the better looking one)

Went food shoppin' with my brother today.
                      I commented on the 'large' lady in the aisle up ahead...
                      My brother said, " Ya know... from the rear, she looks like you, from the front!"

Diet starts soon... (yeah, just after I quit smokin', right?)
                      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                        "Honey, this Midol will help you not be so bit@hy.."
                        You can always hope it will help...

81 SH Something Special
                        81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                        81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                        80 LG Black Magic
                        78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                        For those on FB

Comment

Working...
                        X