Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

theres a demon in my XJ1100 and it wants out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• theres a demon in my XJ1100 and it wants out.

I have an 82 xj 1100, new battery, just cleaned the cleaned carbs. I fired it up fully choked, it bogged out a couple times so I took the choke off and gave it gas to warm up, not to unusual. the clamp for the exhaust was shot so the one side was loud. I shut it off and came back the next day it did not want to start. I it sounded like the starter got stuck on with the last few turns untill finally it drained the battery. I charged the battery over night, and cleaned off the button contacts. I tried to start it multiple times and it would only fire on one cylinder. Had spark on all cylinders. I removed the petcocks cleaned them and noticed the rubber gasket looked worn, and one had a very small crack on the orange part that sucks the gas on the inside. I did not think this was the cause, but it still wouldn't start, so I temporarily replaced it with my virago gas tank. It started but didn't run long. I started it a couple more times untill it finally drained the battery again doing that same thing with the starter staying open. I charged the battery over night again, and the DEMON came in. The key in the ignition on off I tightened the second cable and it immediatly started engaging the starter. I turned the key on, the lights turned on and the cylinders began to fire so I disconnected the cable. Also front brake does not respond, pads are good, master cylinder? I know its alot, but any help is appreciated. thanks.

Sirbikesalot - I've move your post over here on its own rather than leave it buried in another member's post about other issues. You should get more relevant feedback this way.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Okay, that being said, I think you've got a few issues here.

You say you have cleaned the carbs, but I'll bet they need cleaned at least once more. You're not the first, and you won't be the last, to thik your first cleaning should be allit needs.

It sounds like you've got some electrical gremlins at work. Closely related to demons, gremlins often show up as loose or dirty electrtical connectors, many time starting right from the fuse panel. Start at the battery, and work methodically through every connector on the way to the ignition switch and back again.

You can test petcock operation by removing the tank. Place it on a good support with the petcocks hanging over the edge. Use some short bits of clear hose connected to the various nipples and draining into a can or jar. Operate the petcock handles and see what you get. If the petcosks test out okay, come back for more info on how to test operation of the octopus.

Finally, for now anyways, take the entire braking system off and apart for a thorough cleaning and rebuild.

For all of this, read through everything you can find in the technical pages, and try the search button at the top of the page for a wealth of first-hand experiences from a wide range of folks. If you can't find anything that seems to fit your exact situation, come back here. Help is only a few clicks away....
      Ken Talbot

Comment

if it is not starting or is slow you may have a starter solinoid going out.
        1980 xs1100 sg.

Comment

back for more

Ok so I disconected the ignition and the ignition unit computer (located under the seat), connected the battery and it still engaged the starter. Whatever. I decided to disconnect the cable at the solenoid, and manually connect it to start it, and eventually buy one of those quick disconnects. With the virago gas tank connected I connected the cable and it started immediately, ran for about 15-20 seconds fully choked and throttle closed. I tried it a couple more times and it started every time, but only ran for about 3 one thousands. I then pressed the start button w/o the solenoid cable connected for whatever reason I'm still not sure, and heard the solenoid click. Then I connected the cable and got nothing. This concluded the starter issue. Either the button contacts are getting stuck, or the solenoid is getting stuck on. Now its just a matter of keeping it running. thanks for the input so far. I'll try some other threads to figure it out, and I'll check back here later.

Comment

Working...
          X