750 fd mod and tire tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 750 fd mod and tire tubes

I picked up a 750 rear end on ebay yesterday. Is there anything I need to check on it before trying the swap as detailed in the tech tips.

Has anyone started making the spacer bushings for sale or trade yet? I read something about a bronze bushing on one of the posts (will have to dig it up, just posting a quick one this evening)

Dumb question, I just bought some bridgestone spitfires (as recommended in previous post) to replace the cracked donuts i had. Dismounted the front myself (not doing that again) and it had a tube. Had the local shop dismount the rear (polishing and painting both before the new rubber goes on) and they handed me the rim and rear but no tube. Question: do these tires and rims need tubes?

Zee holl, she jess keeps gettin deeeper and deeeper!!
    Texas Rookie - NW Houston
    79 xs11F (in process, down but not out)
    04 Ducati ST4s (current daily driver, recently retired from occasional track bike duty, too $cary to think about crashing)
    2001 Suzuki SV650 track bike (setting up for some adult fun next year)
    newest acquisition - Black on Black 78 XS11 with 81 motor waiting patiently in Cleveland Ohio (Insanity!!!...no thanks I've got plenty)

On the 750 FD, just make sure it spins freely and it should be OK. As for the bronze bushing, they are easy to make. You can pick one up at Ace Hardware. I.D should be 7/8", O.D 1". Cut it to 16mm (5/8") long. With the rims, if you look on the mag spokes, it will state "suitable for tubeless tires" stamped on one side. If no stamp, use a tube. The 79F 17" rear wheel should have a tube and rim locks in it unless someone swapped it out with an 80 and up rim, which are tubeless. Many of us including myself have swapped out the 79 rear rim for a tubeless one.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Bikerphil has stated all but one thing correctly. The change to a TUBELESS rim was made MID '79 model build, so some 1979 models DID have tubeless rims, and the early ones did NOT. As the machine work on the rim is the biggest difference in the rims, if it does NOT say "tubeless", RUN A TUBE for safety. There are other opinions on this site, but as I ride a LOT, I err on the side of safety. There is something about 40 years and 300K+ miles that I would like to keep going for another 40 years....
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I am just finishing up reading XS11 Heaven.One of the things he talks about is running a tubeless tire on the tube type rim.He said he removed the rim locks and he just used a bolt, o-ring, and nut to stop any leaking.The rims arent any weaker apparently.He claimed he had no problems with this method.
        80 SG XS1100
        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Working...
        X