Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idle fine to warm up then stays at 2000 after hard riding

i searched... but could not find

i really don't want to sync the bike, with all that gas spilling all over the place and struggling with the gas tank.

i didn't change anything really, just the battery.

the bike will warm up and idle perfect at around 800-1000

only after i ride it hard or maybe not so hard, it goes to 2000 and stays put, does not climb, any insight? TIA
    "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
    History
    85 Yamaha FJ 1100
    79 yamaha xs1100f
    03 honda cbr 600 f4
    91 yamaha fzr 600
    84 yamaha fj 1100
    82 yamaha seca 750
    87 yamaha fazer
    86 yamaha maxim x
    82 yamaha vision
    78 yamaha rd 400

Quit being such an "idler".

Idle seems a bit low... I happen to like around 1100 rpm.
    Now then...
    To idle higher once the engine warms means that you're not properly burning the fuel when cold.
    You'll note that when using the choke to start:
    You pull the choke out all the way and the bike idles at a certain RPM. As the engine warms, the idle suddenly rises, so you go to half-choke and it drops down again. Engine warms further and the idle starts to creep up again, and you turn the choke off.
    I don't think that you're running on all cylinders at idle/start-up.
    Just for a quick test, start the bike cold and spray the headers with water as the engine is warming up. You may have a cylinder not firing, or firing intermittently. The lack of "sizzling water" will identify which is the troublesome cylinder.
    If this is correct, you also may have set your idle speed based on idling with only three cylinders... and when the fourth one kicks in, so does the higher RPM.
    Vacuum leak is another consideration.
    Last edited by prometheus578; 01-01-2009, 08:23 PM. Reason: I had more thoughts... it happens some times
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Mason,
      i really don't want to sync the bike, with all that gas spilling all over the place and struggling with the gas tank.
      I think you WILL need to sync the carbs. It should NOT be that big a deal. I usually wait until I have about 80 miles on the tank, and then do it. I would also check for vacuum leaks. Fist thing to look at is the plugs on the intake manifolds. If they are stock, REPLACE THEM!!
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

when I work on the carbs, I just take the seat off, and flip the tank around and hook it back up to the fuel lines. Not that big a deal.

The sync will be worth it.
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Prom, i thought when i replaced the petcock vacume line ( leak; it had a split, twice... bad part maybe not meant for motorsports, the other side is a manual petcock from mikes xs, so no prob there) that i took care of the high idle

i routinely feel the pipes when starting to gauge cylinder activity during start up, up until it gets too hot to play with, ( it goes from cold to warm to warmer blah blah hot to hotter to sizzle, you get what i mean)

so my guess until i go out there again to verify, is that all 4 clylinders are firing from the get go.

Ray, i have replaced those manifold port plugs with mike xs products when i got the bike so they appear not to be the culprit at this time.

yeah i think it's time to sync, but damn it any volunteers? local?

i made the homemade one and have just one gauge a real piss poor juggling act at best.

could it be the individual air fuel mixture screws?
          History
          85 Yamaha FJ 1100
          79 yamaha xs1100f
          03 honda cbr 600 f4
          91 yamaha fzr 600
          84 yamaha fj 1100
          82 yamaha seca 750
          87 yamaha fazer
          86 yamaha maxim x
          82 yamaha vision
          78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Originally posted by mason79 View Post
            Ray, i have replaced those manifold port plugs with mike xs products when i got the bike so they appear not to be the culprit at this time.

yeah i think it's time to sync, but damn it any volunteers? local?

i made the homemade one and have just one gauge a real piss poor juggling act at best.

could it be the individual air fuel mixture screws?
            I don't have enough experience with the 1100's yet, but with the 400's which in 1980 at least use the same carbs high hanging idle after hard running is lean idle mixture. I haven't touched my mixture screws yet because it seems to be pretty dialed in on my 1100 but on my 400 it took a lot of adjusting to get it right.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Mason, kind of sounds to me like you need to re-sync your carbs (providing you have no vacuum leaks or sticking carb linkage). If just one is out of sync a touch too much from the others the out of sync carb can actually tend to have that cylinder drag the others along to an extent, usually raising the RPM to a slightly higher level at idle.

Adjust your idle mixture screws first then sync your carbs (I know you dont wanna) then adjust your idle speed to around 1100 then test ride.
              Mike Giroir
              79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

I dont even have to disconnect my fuel lines to sync.I got rid of the octy a while back ,then took a suggestion from channel eleven and routed the lines from left petcock to right side carbs and vice-versa.Also found I could leave enough extra line this way to be able to just remove the seat then lift the back of the tank and insert a block of wood under it to gain enough clearance to adjust pilot screws and sync.I can adjust and resync and have it all back together in about half hour.
                80 SG XS1100
                14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

sync

I use one of these screwdrivers to sync. Don't even have to unbolt the tank. Just hook up the vac. lines and adjust.

2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                    I use one of these screwdrivers to sync. Don't even have to unbolt the tank. Just hook up the vac. lines and adjust.

where do you get one of those screwdrivers? jc whitney? dennis kirk?
                    History
                    85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                    79 yamaha xs1100f
                    03 honda cbr 600 f4
                    91 yamaha fzr 600
                    84 yamaha fj 1100
                    82 yamaha seca 750
                    87 yamaha fazer
                    86 yamaha maxim x
                    82 yamaha vision
                    78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

The one I have, I got from JCW for about $25. Having it is invaluable tuning these in line 4's.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

i did it the last time, it was close but not spot on, i've been reading here, i'm gonna be using the single vacume gauge homemade unit
                        sync 4 to 3 and 1 to2 then those 2 banks to each other or is there another sequence,

like the bread wire method?
                        History
                        85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                        79 yamaha xs1100f
                        03 honda cbr 600 f4
                        91 yamaha fzr 600
                        84 yamaha fj 1100
                        82 yamaha seca 750
                        87 yamaha fazer
                        86 yamaha maxim x
                        82 yamaha vision
                        78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

sync

I use a homade sync tool , made from a yardstick. Some 1/8 clear tubing and some wire ties filled with 20/50 it takes a little time. And you have to put in some pilot jets into the ends of the tubes , but it works well enough for me
                          91 kwaka kz1000p
                          Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

In Synch ...

Not the boy band BUT I will synch your carbs .... I have a Morgan Carbtune and the angled screwdriver ... piece of cake. Now as far as the 'rising idle rpm' is concerned, could be that the remaining vac petcock is leaking back through diaphram then down the vac hose and finally into the cylinder itself ... 'specially you mentioned recently replacing a vac hose with multiple cracks. Vacuum hose in general doesn't hold up to gasoline too well at all, if ya' catch my drift. PM me or get my number from Richard and we'll set up a time ... I'm in Vista pretty close to the 15.
                            80G Mini-bagger
                            VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                            79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                            79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                            79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                            79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

yes the newish mikes xs port caps had cracks in it, 2 years old, why?

the throttle cable seemed gummed up, i w d'd it, yet to ride but i think it was vacume leaks, the long tool is coming from ebay so....
                              thanks again for the support!!
                              History
                              85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                              79 yamaha xs1100f
                              03 honda cbr 600 f4
                              91 yamaha fzr 600
                              84 yamaha fj 1100
                              82 yamaha seca 750
                              87 yamaha fazer
                              86 yamaha maxim x
                              82 yamaha vision