Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handle grips

I want to change the grips on my xj
    I know the size is7/8 but what is the length?
    Is there a secret to taking the od ones off and putting the new ones on?
    Movin On Down The Line.
    Where Ever You Go.
    There You Are.
    '82'xj1100j Maxim

How to loose your grip, and getting a grip!!

Hey Sandy,

As was recently pointed out to me as a possible fault of mine , I was going to mention about the ease and quick technique of finding information like this with just a simple method of using the search function. This is not intended as any kind of admonishment, brow beating, etc., but just a friendly reminder of how many common topics have been previously discussed, and that instead of having to WAIT for a reply....especially at holiday time, that you could have possibly found the info you needed much quicker by just clicking on the SEARCH button in the upper right, it will provide a drop down menu where you can type in a few key words...I used "remove grip", and found the following threads, along with several others, but these two threads had "grip" as part of the thread topic, and have the information you need in them.

This first thread tells about the stock length of the grips, along with info about why different lengths, styles are available

And this one tells about removing them as well as putting new ones on, how to get them to easily slide on, and then STICK.

Again, I say that this was NOT meant to keep folks from posting requests for assistance. This is a forum, and we do acquire new bits of information from new folks with new points of view, experience, ideas, etc., about otherwise old topics that have been discussed before. It's just that some folks/newbies will pop on without even looking at the STICKY threads, etc., and blurt out a new thread on such fun subjects and what OIL to use, and what TIRES are best, etc.!!

Okay, now go out there and "Get a GRIP" !!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Unsolicited Testimonial:

"Gee T.C., you're right.
      I tried that "search feature" and it is a wondermous tool!
      It saved me lots of time and provided a wealth of information.
      Thanks for the tip."

Phineas J. Whoopie
      Akron, OH
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Whoopie!

Ha! Phinneas J. Whoopie. I remember him. The famous Mr. Whoopie on the Tennessee Tuxedo cartoon. I thought I was the only one...
        Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
        1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
        23mm float height
        120 main jets
        42.5 pilot jets
        drilled stock airbox with K&N
        Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
        spade fusebox
        1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

handle grips

Thanks for the info .I don;t want to waist any one's time.
          Movin On Down The Line.
          Where Ever You Go.
          There You Are.
          '82'xj1100j Maxim

Comment

Alter egos

I used that as a "pen name" for years on internet dating sites.
            Any female that knew who Phineas J. Whoopie was... well, by golly, she was the woman for me!

(Either that name or... "Lars Thorwald")

Comment

Sorry, Sandy... if you misunderstood.

No offense... but it's an "inside joke".
              T.C. and I have been accused recently of being lazier than usual.
              It seems that during this busy holiday season, instead of taking an hour or so to write detailed responses, we've been guilty of just recommending the search function, or in my case, just providing links to previous threads (where I've taken an hour or so to write detailed responses)
              Yes, I know... it lacks the personal touch... but not many people care to have me touch them personally

Comment

re:Any female that knew who Phineas J. Whoopie was... well, by golly, she was the woman for me!

Hence the bachelorhood?
                80 SG XS1100
                14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

I have a set of Kuryakyns on my XS11. They are longer than the stock grips, so I just moved the controls up the handle bar about an inch. The toughest part was getting the left grip to stick and the right grip over the sleeve.

The sleeve had to have the end cut off so it could slide farther up the bar, and lots of grunting and cussing finally got the grip over the sleeve.

I tried several options for adhering the left grip to the bar. The original glue that came with the grips (more of a cruel joke than a glue). Some rubberized CA glue (aka superglue) that guys from the RC car circuit used to keep their tires from slipping on the rim and that worked like a butter knife in a sea battle.

The final solution, Gorilla Glue. I followed the instructions, and that grip hasn't moved since. I would bet I am stuck with the buck horns, since I don't think the rubber part will survive removal.

As for the oversized grips, they work fine and you'd never know if you didn't have another stock to compare. I do like the Kuryakyns as they have a fair amount of deadening to them, and are very comfortable.

Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Different dating strategies

Tarzan...
                    My "EX" could quote from Three Stooges movies.... marriage lasted for 17 years.
                    This time, I'm looking for a woman with more depth.

Comment

I want one!

Ivan...
                      Pink?
                      Lavander?
                      Or would you say that it's Mauve?

Comment

Originally posted by prometheus578 View Post
                        Ivan...
                        Pink?
                        Lavander?
                        Or would you say that it's Mauve?
                        Sorry I don't follow?

Comment

The barrel next to the garage door...
                          Ken Talbot

Comment

Yeah the barrel is pink. It is a coolant drum from the machine shop I work at. Ironically the coolant is blue. The supplier doesn't want them back, so I nabbed one for burning off some of the limbs left over from the latest ice storm.

Nothing like coolant flavored smores to warm the heart.

Comment

I have those same grips on my bike Ivan. They are fine during the warmer months, but when you wear thicker gloves for the colder weather along with those bigger grips, it feels kinda like trying to hang onto a tree trunk to me.

As to the laziness that must be running amuck I can say that in searching old threads about subjects or following links others have posted for me in answer to a question, I have learned ALOT of things that probably would never have come out in answering a direct question I have had. I also have gotten off on some wild tagents in following links to other threads from the thread I was reading, and found out some pretty cool stuff, if only I could remember it.

My only suggestion for the search tool would be (if it does not do this and I just don't know how) to be able to search for a complete term or multiple words like using the + sign or a " " in a google search. Like searching for "adjusting valves".
                              Last edited by DGXSER; 01-01-2009, 02:16 PM.
                              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                              X