filters?? What do I need? Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• filters?? What do I need? Help!

Put pod filters on, ordered and put on crankcase breather filter. What do I do to filter the other 2 open ports on my carbs? 79 special motor & carbs. Stock had the crank case breather hose going to air box splitting into a vapor recovery type system with 2 ports from carbs sucking. I thought I could just get away with pluging them off since I have not encountered any info on this. WRONG-WRONG. Can someone please help me out with this.
    80special w/79special motor.Never ride faster than your angel can fly!!

Cables too??????

Looking to put 16" apes. Can anyone tell me what length throttle, clutch cable, and brake hose I'm looking for..?

Comment

BigRay,

Some of the more experienced guru's and or knowledgeable folks may correct me, but I believe on the 78-79 year bikes the two hoses from the upper side of the carbs between #1 and #2, and again between #3 and #4 are vents from the float bowls. Plugging those would not work well at all. I believe they run from the carbs to the stock air box which you removed. I think this includes the special model as well. This is the vent to let air out as fuel comes into your carbs if I understand it properly.

Do a search on carb vents and you will probably find a thread or two on this. I think the typical solution is just to let them vent to atmosphere. If it were me I would probably want to put something there to keep the crawling critters from using them for a home.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

ok.

Ha, boy was I wrong on the way that was working. Ha. So can anyone tell me what they have done with these? Open, filtered, what?

Comment

I have mine open to the air. I did run longer hoses so it is run up under the tank and then back down behind the motor. Kinda comes out in front of the rear tire. I just used some black zip ties to hold it where I wanted it. I have had no issues with running it this way. No critters yet anyways and no water or other probs either.
          2-79 XS1100 SF
          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Hey Ray,

You can "T" them together, and then put a small fuel filter on the end of the common single "T" fitting to allow them to VENT properly.

As for the cables, if your special has the OEM buckhorn bars, then it already has the longer of the 2 OEM size cables you can get, you may be able to reroute them around the frame to get them to reach, but you may need to take some measurements with some string to see how much length you'll need vs. the OEMs. IIRC, a site that advertised on ebay called Ricepaddybikes or such talked about making custom length cables which you might need for the clutch and even the throttle? If you are going to put on SS lines for the brakes, then you can measure the length you need, and get some custom made ones for that as well!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Here is what I did for the fuel vents.

Notice the little brown filter between # 3&4 carbs. These are small fuel filters I bought at the auto parts store. They are capped on one end and have a grommet on the other. I simply inserted a plastic ferrule into the filter and the other end into the vent hose that I cut to a short length. I have had these same filters on for years and the little suckers only cost a couple of bucks.
              Mike Giroir
              79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Mike;

I like the caliper. Is that painted or stripped-polished?

Comment

Good idea

Thanks Tad & Tomcat. Good lil idea on the fuel filters. Isn't there a member that makes SS lines?

Comment

Swamp Thing

Hey Randy,
                    I've been wanting to ask you what part of La, was it saved from?

Comment

Randy, caliper is stripped and ploished. In fact, most of the aluminum is only polished and it really is not alot of work to keep it nice. Mostly I just make sure to wipe everything down with a simple rag after every ride and about twice a year I use Mothers aluminum polish on everything. That takes about an hour.
                      Mike Giroir
                      79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Working...
                      X