Alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator

Has anyone ever contemplated trying to increase alternator output? Just seems to me it might be more beneifical to have more electricity incase one wanted to wear a heated suit or use something else requireing high amperage draw. If anyone out there has researched it, please let me know!! thanks

A few of the members here have looked into it. Do a search and you should find a few threads. The BIG problem has been the money needed to increase the output. $350 or more to gain an extra 5 Amps just does NOT make sense for a 30 year old bike.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I don't reckon you need a bigger alternator. I use heated socks which plug into the battery. When i've used them on my XS or my FJ they literally burn my feet, but when used on my VFR just nice and toasty.

http://www.thebikerstore.co.uk/Gerbi...FRbfZgodEjqaCw
      Last edited by FJ111200; 12-30-2008, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FJ111200 View Post
        I don't reckon you need a bigger alternator. I use heated socks which plug into the battery. When i've used them on my XS or my FJ they literally burn my feet, but when used on my VFR just nice and toasty.

http://www.thebikerstore.co.uk/Gerbi...FRbfZgodEjqaCw
        I could be that you decided to discontinue use before you found that the charging system would not keep up? Devices that have heating elements generally use a lot of energy. Some riders have found, for example, that auxiliary lighting can only be used at cruising speeds. I have shyed away from buying heated grips for that reason.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

You could have an electric motor rebuild shop rewind your stator with more windings,it isnt cheap, but I think someone told me about a couple hundred dollars to rewind one.
          80 SG XS1100
          14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

It's also possible to use these things intermittently. I know a guy that would run some fog lights on his XJ that actually ended up drawing more than the system charged. When the battery got drained down after a while, the bike would sputter a bit, and he'd switch the lights off. The motor would run fine again and charge things back up. So if you could only have heated socks for a while before having to turn them off again.. it sure would be better than nothing sometimes! Cold feet and hands sure kills the fun.

I was looking at some heated gloves and they only draw 2 amps. Even the XS can handle that.

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Don't forget that you can free up many amps by doing an LED conversion for the turn signals and tail/brake lights, see the tech tips for the stats!
              T.C.

As mentioned, a search should reveal some recent and older threads on the many options that were discussed and suggested already!
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

The Geezer regulators will not increase the total output, but will keep it charging at lower rpms, which may help in a slow cruise and at idle.

I have an extra field winding (the center part of the alternator) and I am strongly considering rewinding that, since winding wire isn't that terribly expensive. A thinner gauge, should allow more turns on it, causing a larger magnetic field. Time will tell. I am just short on time, and money, and long on projects.
                Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Didn't geezer himself post a while back on the possibility of a high output alternator he was contemplating. What ever happened with that, anyone know?
                  1979 xs1100 Special -
                  Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                  Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                  My Bike:
                  [link is broken]

Comment

Working...
                  X