X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kit on ebay

Here's a kit by Georgefix on ebay for specials:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAH...mZ350145363241

Item #350145363241 in case above link doesn't work!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks for all the info. You guys are gonna have me back on the road and freezing in no time. Nothing like a snappy winter ride when the sun comes out!
      Screamindeal
      1979xs1100sf

Comment

OK I jimmy rigged a fuel source and got fuel moving to my outside carbs but nothing on the two inside ones. The outside ones aren't really flowing just showing. am I doing this right? Should it take that long for fuel to come out when I lift the floats ? I checked the float levels and they are at what the manual calls for. I think I need more flow but I am not sure.
        Screamindeal
        1979xs1100sf

Comment

Fuel should flow imediately when you lift the floats.Did you pull the seats?Are the mesh filters under them plugged?I know you had the carbs apart a dozen times so this does sound unlikely.Does fuel flow freely if you disconnect them from the carbs? You have the solid needles not the viton tipped ones right?The viton ones could concievably stick I suppose.
          One other thought,does your alternate fuel source have enough volume to to give good fuel pressure?
          80 SG XS1100
          14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

I pulled off the floats and pulled up the needles and fuel flowed. I may not have had enough fuel pressure as you suggested. I am going to add more fuel to the source . Hey Pro does it matter what kind of sandwich I eat while waiting?
            Screamindeal
            1979xs1100sf

Comment

"The Earl of Sandwich"

Get two pieces of dark rye bread. (you could toast it if you desire)
              On one slice spread mustard (Not that cheap "French's" crap, but good stuff)
              Place down a thick slice of good German blood and tongue sausage (Or two)
              *** Mustard and meat must always be in contact with each other***
              Now, a slice of good cheese: Munster, Monteray Jack, Farmer's Cheese...
              ***Nothing with too strong/too sharp of a flavor to overpower the meat** Several slices of red onion to provide crispness and bite.
              A thin layer of ketchup and then close it all up!

What concerns me is the lack of fuel flow. What are you using for a source?
              Is it a closed container of sorts?
              What I mean is... unless it's vented to atmosphere, you'll get very little fluid flow. Sort of like a fuel tank with the gas cap vent plugged... A vacuum forms in the tank and nothing then will flow out of it.
              "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Prometheus,

Your taste buds are as sick as your brain....
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I am using my tank with the cap open. I pulled the floats and lifted the needles and fuel flowed freely. When I dropped the needle back in it stopped the flow right away without the float weight. Annd I opted for a bowl of soup instead of the sandwich. Your recipe for a sandwich kinda made me queasy.
                  Screamindeal
                  1979xs1100sf

Comment

Fuel should flow imediately when you lift the floats.Did you pull the seats?Are the mesh filters under them plugged?That is a very good observation Tarzan.When i took my carbs apart those screens were clogged with crud.A stiff wire toothbrush cleaned them out and then carbs were happy.I also replaced 3 of the seats and needle valves.
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    Inline fuel filters
                    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                    160 mph speedometer mod
                    Kerker Exhaust
                    xschop K & N air filter setup
                    Dynojet Recalibration kit
                    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

No wonder you guys have problems!

What pedestrian tastes you have regarding food!
                      As for bench testing carbs...
                      As long as the needles stop the flow of fuel, that's all we're concerned with.
                      If the weight of the needles is sufficient to do that... that's fine.
                      Gasoline is very light and a very thin fluid. If the needle's seal had a very slight imperfection, the gasoline would soon seep it's way past and be evident, even to the glazed over eyes of TRBIG.
                      So.. you now have a good flowing fuel source...
                      You get fuel to the carbs, lift the floats (or lift the needles) to clear the air from the system, dry up the spilt gas and then watch for new leakage.
                      No leakage... then you're done.

Comment

The secret to enjoying Prometheus' sandwich recipe is the very large stein of German Bier. The flip top lid is a necessity.

Personally I would substitute some sauerkraut for the ketchup, but to each his own.
                        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

everything good

I checked the screens-- clean-- I lifted the needles on all four carbs got flow. I dried everything and let it sit for a movie, The Dark Knight, still dry. I am good to go. Hopefully I will get them reinstalled tomorrow. Then I will be looking for a suitable material to make some short stacks to attach my cheap pod filters. I read about the opening problem after I bought them.I will look into cutting the lip at the spots that would cover the ports if I can not find the right adapter stuff.
                          Screamindeal
                          1979xs1100sf

Comment

Originally posted by screamin deal View Post
                            I dried everything and let it sit for a movie, The Dark Knight, still dry.
                            Probably the acting.

Also, if you look, you can find a post by yours truly that shows how to use the stock stacks for the cheap filters. If you aren't comfortable cutting up yours, airboxes tend to go really cheap on ebay.
                            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

'She's really stacked!"

Velocity stack threads:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...elocity+stacks

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...elocity+stacks

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...&threadid=8269

Comment

I think you'll have problems cutting the lip of those filter holders. The filters don't attach very well to them anyway, and removing this lip anywhere on them will make them even less stable. I'd figure out and use some sort of velocity stack instead of cutting these up.

Ketchup on a sandwich that already has a good mustard on it? Is this like trying to play grown-up, but then reverting back to your childhood where everything was always better smothered in ketchup? Can we just go ahead and finish this off with some Mac and Cheese?

And WE are the pedestrians? Really... ketchup with sausage, huh??

Tod
                                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                                '06 Suzuki DR650
                                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                                '81 XS1100 Special
                                '81 YZ250
                                '80 XS850 Special
                                '80 XR100
                                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Working...
                                X