Need help quick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help quick

On the way to work this morning, my bike just died without any warning whatsoever. I discovered that the only way the engine will stay running is if I hold the starter button in, but I sure can't ride it that way. Can someone please tell me what the problem is so I can get it back to my house to work on it? Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Hi...my name is Mike, and I'm a lane-splitter.
    '80 XS1100SG (mine)
    '87 CMX450C Rebel (daughter's first bike)

If the bike will only run holding in the starter button, the ballast resistor (if an 80 has one) probably took a sh it. You should be able to bypass it just to ride a short distance without damaging the TCI.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Yep. Ballast resistor for sure. I wouldn't bypass it for riding, though, only for a quick test. Just an opinion. If you're in a pinch, some large auto parts outlets have them in the "HELP" section, most have spade connectors so you'll have to rig one up till you get the OEM version.

Comment

HGow close to 1.5 ohms does it need to be? I can get one from an auto parts store, but they have 1.3 and 1.7.
        '80 XS1100SG (mine)

Comment

ballast

Mike, I just checked 2 of 'em that I have layin' around the garage. One says 1.9 ohms, the other, 2.1 ohms. So I'd guess the higher one is what you need. The ones I tested came off running bikes. HTH
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I wish I would have seen this in time. I have one I could have brought you. I was in San D yesterday.
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Thanks for the help, gents. I ended up getting one from NAPA for $20 that measured 1.6 ohms. Thankfully, there was a guy working there that day that knew WHAT a ballast resistor was...the first kid I was talking to had no idea. It ain't pretty, but it's out of sight, and the bike is running. It would have been nice to meet you, Pat. Thanks for the offer to help.
              '80 XS1100SG (mine)

Comment

Working...
              X