one disc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one disc

Back in Dec of 2007, my XS's front brakes would get to the point that it would be hard to push the bike back and forth(it was not running)I cleaned the spooge hole and it helped a little.Come the warmer months,they would be fine again,as if nothing was wrong.Since i put stainless lines back in the late 80's i have not had problems with the brakes.This year i took off the suspected caliper and was amazed by the slight rust that had formed over the years.I removed the sticking caliper and have not had a problem since.The weather by me has gotten as low as 14 degrees and pushed the bike out of my Moms garage on Sunday.No problems so far.And the pads are not wearing uneven from the lack of the missing caliper.I did have to get a banjo bolt and new washers to close up the additional lie-which is currently resting in my storage shed.So if any one needs a stainless line from the junction coupling to the caliper let me know.Cover the cost of shipping and we will call it even.
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Inline fuel filters
    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
    160 mph speedometer mod
    Kerker Exhaust
    xschop K & N air filter setup
    Dynojet Recalibration kit
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Does your bike pass inspection with the second front caliper removed? Seems a bit risky to me. These heavy bikes need all the braking power they can get.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Wrong ratio!

Hi Oldyam,
      rebuild or replace that second caliper and put it back on. With only one caliper to operate instead of two the master cylinder now has twice the piston area it should have and that will give the remaining caliper a real "wooden" feel and less effective braking.
      OK, you can replace the stock master cylinder with one that has a smaller bore to get the single disk's stopping power back again but it will still fade faster if you are (say) going down a mountain where the brake is on for a ling time.
      Your best deal is to get back to two working calipers.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

As far as inspection goes,i have not had any problems passing state inspection.fredintoon -i see where you are coming from.I don't have problems with the stopping power but am looking at replacing the master cylinder with something different.Could somebody with more experience perhaps you fredintoon help me choose which size?I looked at Mikes XS =would any of them do?Old Master cylinder has seen better days.
        1980 XS1100 SG
        Inline fuel filters
        160 mph speedometer mod
        Kerker Exhaust
        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Hey Peter,

What Fred is saying is that with only 1 caliper to drive, the MC is too large, and you don't get much travel of the lever before it pumps the required amount of fluid to compress the caliper piston. So you actually have LESS feel in the handle/lever, and can easily apply too much force.

It would be recommended that you get a replacement caliper, or rebuild yours so that you have both for the front, and then you would want the MikesXS MC that is designed to drive a dual caliper setup, the 16mm bore.

However, if you insist on using just 1 caliper, then you would actually want to get the smaller MC with the 14mm bore that's designed to drive the single 650 front caliper. You'll need to pull the lever a bit farther for the same braking pressure, but that's where you get the control "FEEL" he's talking about. Your choice.

I replaced my front MC in 2000 when I did my rebuild, before I found XS11.com, and ended up with the smaller capacity MC from a later model XS/XJ, perhaps even an XJ11 which only drives 1 caliper, since the rear MC drives the other front and rear on the XJ! With my old vinyl lines, the feel was very spongy, and I had to pump it a few times to get enough fluid volume to get a decent braking action, but after I put on the SS lines, the smaller MC easily drives BOTH front calipers, and I have a good "FEEL" as well.
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Tried mikes xs-i cant mount the mirror because there is no mirror mount hole.Do any of those calipers work?I still have mine but it has seen better days.As far as the mirror thing goes any suggestions?
            1980 XS1100 SG
            Inline fuel filters
            160 mph speedometer mod
            Kerker Exhaust
            1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Hey Pete,

Did you already order a Front MC from MikesXS?? Both their 13mm and 16mm bore front MC's have mirror mounts right behind the MC Reservoir chamber. They only showed one smaller MC that did NOT have the mirror mount??

As for their calipers, no can do, they would work on Standards, but not on the Special with their fancy slanted discs and single pivot bolt mount!

Not sure what you mean by yours being bad? If just in need of a rebuild kit, they are available, but if the bad caliper had a busted bleeder screw, then I could understand wanting a replacement, but if it's just RUST, that's mostly on the metal C ring that holds the dust cover over the piston. Rust on the actual piston quite often is not a problem as long as it's not too far up near the pad portion where it seals against the rubber Oring. Pitting around the base/bottom/cup end won't be a problem, and a good wire brush/wheel can remove most of the high spots, but again won't cause a problem because it's the cylinder section near the pad that makes the seal with the rubber O-ring.

Otherwise, a shout to Andreas would be in order!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham

Comment

TopCatGR58-I contacted Mr Weiss about the caliper which he has.Mostly what you described is whats going on with the caliper.I have not ordered a master cylinder from Mikes XS yet.I know based on previous experience with them that if you for any reason have a return he doesn't want to deal with you.I sent him 10 e-mails about an electrical part that the package wasn't even opened and he never replied.I know i need a new master cylinder as mine leaked from the base because a shop added fluid 2 years ago and i got a hairline crack in it.Silicone sealant fixed it but it looks like garbage.
                1980 XS1100 SG
                Inline fuel filters
                160 mph speedometer mod
                Kerker Exhaust
                1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Choices, choices!

Partsnmore.com has this one, same as the one on MikesXS.com, 16mm size
                  HOWEVER, just checked, and they(PNM) are currently out of stock!

DUAL DISC MASTER CYLINDER
                  Dual Disc Master Cylinder Assembly.
                  Yamaha Style - Alloy body Master Cylinder Assembly with Lever, Banjo Bolt, Banjo Bolt Washers and Brake Switch. High Quality , Low Profile Design featuring 16mm cylinder with 10 x 1.25 threaded outlet. Fits 7/8 inch Handlebars, Accepts Yamaha Style Left Handed Thread Mirrors.

$76.00US EA.

Part#08-0264

In the VIRAGO section, they have this one, the 13mm MC, and it's IN STOCK!
                  UNIVERSAL MASTER CYLINDER1
                  Includes Lever, Banjo bolt & Washers and Brake Switch

$69.00US EA.

Part#08-0262
                  Several folks have gotten the PNM one, and it has worked just fine for them, and if you check the model #, you'll see that they are similar to the MikesXS ones!

MikesXS 13mm
                  Master Cylinder Assembly
                  Master Cylinder Assembly - 13mm. bore (for single Front disc brake)
                  Yamaha OEM type. Complete with brake lever, brake light switch, banjo bolt and banjo bolt washers (Pr.). Recommended for 1977-84 650's

Part #08-0255 $69.00 USD ea
                  ------------------------------------
                  Just Checked, and MIKES is ALSO OUT OF STOCK of this size!

Master Cylinder Assembly - 16mm bore. - Recommended for late dual disc Front brakes on 1977-84 XS650's or single front disc brake (1972-76 650's). Yamaha OEM type. Complete with brake lever, brake light switch, banjo bolt and washers.

Part #08-0265 $79.00 USD ea
                  Just checked OldBikeBarn, they want $153.00 !

So...if you're going to fix your second caliper, then most likely you'll want to use the 16mm bore MC. But I think I mentioned it before, that I was able to use the smaller 13mm bore on mine driving 2 calipers with SS lines, and it works quite well!!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham

Comment

I have been on the same hunt for quite some time...
                    Mikes XS is out of the 13mm & 16mm bore that use the same switch & brake lever as our 11's (and so is parts-more) but Mikes has some nice compact low profile MC that are 14mm & 12.9mm piston bore. they come with black levers & banjo but you'll have to splice the wires in. I've book marked the Old bike barn but it seems to be exactly the same 16mm as Mike's & parts-more and they want 3 times ass much $$ I am likely going to buy the parts-more 13mm shown for the virago, or they have a 13mm that is identical to the one on Mike's it is under the Seca 650 page, slightly different from the virago mc offering. Also they have a sweet chrome reservoir cap with an eagle says "live to ride". Just some other options. I have been watching Mike's and parts more for the 16mm alloy reservoir master cylinder; they have been sold out for several months & both say they will get in more stock (but they LIE). PS. if you ask Mike a question, don't mention this site or the fact that you have an 1100... He'll come unglued. He's a 650 Nazzi! He hates the fact that we are putting his parts on our bikes. I told him I have a 650 chopper with unfamiliar parts when I was asking detailed questions about fitment... he seemed OK with that. He has a lot of compatible parts and decent prices though what can you do?

Comment

**I fixed your photo link, but tell us about your guages, how you wired in the TACH, and how it works,responds?!?
                      Last edited by daddyp; 01-05-2009, 09:20 PM. Reason: bad pic

Comment

Originally posted by oldyam80sg View Post
                        As far as inspection goes,i have not had any problems passing state inspection.fredintoon -i see where you are coming from.I don't have problems with the stopping power but am looking at replacing the master cylinder with something different.Could somebody with more experience perhaps you fredintoon help me choose which size?I looked at Mikes XS =would any of them do?Old Master cylinder has seen better days.
                        Hi Oldyam,
                        Try these guys:-
                        http://www.vintagebrake.com/
                        The site tells you more than you need to know about bike brakes.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

wow... thanks, I didn't even mean to put that pic of the tac up but it works great, only problem is the small tac & spedo don't cover the stock hole in the headlight bucket. looks kinda dumb. I think it has 2 leads one ground the other goes to one of the 2 coils single pos. I think either lead on either coil, very simple.the pics I was trying to post before I got retarded...

this is the 13mm master cylinder it is a universal fit Yamaha with the left hand threads comes with single 10mm x 1.25 banjo & lever is a stock Yamaha with the screw for compressing the piston and the return spring. The brake switch is, I think, the same as ours too. The lever is a must because I have nice chrome levers already (hard to find) & I want to use them.

This is the cover... Not sure if it will work with this MC its says "universal Yamaha 2 screw cap" Might even work with the Virago MC. I think the only difference between them is the Virago may thread the banjo out the front rather than the inside??

Comment

If U want to redirect this to a new thread I wouldn't mind but now ya got me on about my gauges. I got them from Mikes XS but they sell on flea bay to.
                            Very responsive At first I grounded it in the head light bucket & when I would bring the rpm's up while the blinker was on (also grounded in the bucket) it would jump the needle usually if I down shift before a turn. I jsut moved the ground.

Cool blue back light, kinda indiglo...

very low profile look goes good with the round light. You can see why I want a new brake MC to. The plastic just looks shady with all the bling.

Last edited by daddyp; 01-06-2009, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X