What type of Bolt/fastener is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of Bolt/fastener is this?

I am attempting to removing the timing assembly, but am stuck on a fastener that I cannot figure out how to remove.

In the image below, there are two brass cylinders. One in the upper left and one diagonally below it in the lower right.

The cylinders have tabs that hold them in place. Inside the cylinder is a strange nut looking thing that I cannot figure out.

Other than using a hack saw, how do I remove these fasteners.

Note: In this image, stolen from a photo I found on this site, the bolts are replaced with philips head screws.

Last edited by digitalsam; 12-22-2008, 03:34 PM.
    Sam Christensen
    The Chronicles of my Rebuild http://xs1100rebuild.blogspot.com

--------------------------------------------------------
    If you are leading and no one is following, maybe your just taking a walk.

Currently bikeless. Sold my 1980 XS1100 Special

tamper proof

The 78-9 had the phillips screw for timing adjustment. 80 and up had those tamper proof screws (EPA) and they must be carefully drilled out. Just drill the head off them, pull off the timing plate, and take out the remaining studs with vise grips.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

If they are tamper proof torx (star with a dot in the middle) those can be found at sears.
      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Drilled em out

Thanks, I only had a few hours to work today and decided to drill them out. I am about to start cleaning the parts and hope to begin the rebuild on Wednesday.

If anyone is looking for a good confidence building project, a rebuild is a good way to go. I am thinking of purchasing another 1100 and working it with my ten year old.
        Sam Christensen
        The Chronicles of my Rebuild http://xs1100rebuild.blogspot.com

--------------------------------------------------------
        If you are leading and no one is following, maybe your just taking a walk.

Currently bikeless. Sold my 1980 XS1100 Special

Comment

They're not a tamper-proof head per-se but they are tamper proof. They have a head that snaps off at the correct torque when tightened at the factory. There's nothing left to get a tool on and there is no other way to remove them except to drill them out. If you want to get artistic, an easy-out works too.
          Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
          1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
          23mm float height
          120 main jets
          42.5 pilot jets
          drilled stock airbox with K&N
          Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
          spade fusebox
          1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

I got mine out using a hammer and punch to start them turning and then needle nose pliers. It wasn't pretty but it worked.
            Brian
            XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
            Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

Working...
            X