leaking carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaking carbs

I need some help with a problem I i stop using my xj 11 max for a period of time the gas leaks through my carbs and fills the oil sump with gas only if i don't turn off the pet cocks, any ideas guys?

you will need to take them off and clean them sounds like the needles and seats are not working just gummed up easy fix
    http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...all2008017.jpg

Comment

Welcome to the site. Sounds like gummed up/worn float valves. XJ's also have o-rings that go around the float valve seat that tend to fail. If the bike sits on it's centerstand, it leans forward a bit. The overflowing fuel runs thru an open valve, past the rings, and down into the crankcase. Wouldn't recommend running it with contaminated oil, not too good for the crank bearings.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

"Moved by the spirit of Christmas"

Needle and seats rarely get gummed up.
        Needles get a "wear" rings grooved into them and then they start to leak.
        Time to replace them. (the needles, not both the needles and seat)
        "Z1 Enterprises" seems to have the cheapest price for needles.
        Do a search for the word "Simichrome" for details on re-conditioning the seats.
        I'd re-type up a detailed explaination for ya.... but the neighbors just left to do Christmas shopping or something... and I want to get over there before they get back and kick over their kid's snowman.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I'd re-type up a detailed explaination for ya.... but the neighbors just left to do Christmas shopping or something... and I want to get over there before they get back and kick over their kid's snowman.
          You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch!
          Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
          1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
          23mm float height
          120 main jets
          42.5 pilot jets
          drilled stock airbox with K&N
          Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
          spade fusebox
          1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Bike on fire!

Mine turned out to be a broken float post with a JB Weld repair. Anybody got a spare carb body?
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Working...
            X